Tuesday 24 November 2015

The priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD stopped in the middle of the Jordan and stood on dry ground, while all Israel passed by until the whole nation had completed the crossing on dry ground. – Joshua 3:17


Today’s Scripture Reading (November 24, 2015): Joshua 3

The contemporary Christian Church has a trust issue. We don’t seem to trust anyone – including God. I was distressed as I read social media responses to the Paris attacks earlier this month. What I found were Christians advocating the taking up of weapons by private citizens to wipe the offending people off of the map. I saw Christians calling Islam a “garbage religion” (we must find a way to differentiate between what our media calls the radicalized believer in Islam and our Muslim neighbors and brothers and sisters.) I watched as godly people called for a halt of humanitarian aid and assistance to Syrian refugees because there might be a few radicals that intend to harm us in the mix. If our character is defined by how we react in the worst moments, I have to admit that I didn’t enjoy seeing the Christian character that was revealed by the Paris attacks. It is something that the Church needs to pay attention to – it is a growth area where we need desperately to grow.

I know that the Paris attacks, followed by reports of other attacks that were “in the pipeline” and may include some prominent European and North American centers, is a scary thought. One friend admitted that his response was born out of fear. Which brings me back to my original thought, do we trust God? Even a little bit? Repeatedly the Bible gives us this image that there is nothing to fear because God is in control – he is still on the throne. In the great prophetic passage of Matthew 24, Jesus instructs his followers to continue with life and to pay attention to the Gospel teachings even in the face of wars and rumors of wars. Jesus said -

Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains (Matthew 24:5-8 emphasis mine).

I understand that the flood waters seem to be rising, but God is still the Lord of the Flood. We can keep our trust in him.

Every time I read this passage I have to admit that it brings into focus my trust. Let me set the stage for you. The River Jordan is at flood stage. There is a generation of people who have known only sand and the occasional spring, and when you are not used to it (or even I you are used to it), any river at flood stage is scary sight. But God’s instruction is that Israel is to cross this scary body of water. But the water will not stop until the priests step into the water. If the priests have faith and are willing to step into the rushing water, then the water will stop. But only if they have faith.

And so the priests step into the water. The water stops and the priests are instructed to walk to the center of the river and stand. I am not sure that I would have been happy with those instructions. I would want to get across the river as quickly as I could – like, before the flood returns. But then again, I am not on the throne – God is.

Even though they knew that the flood waters were going to return, the priests maintained their ground in the center of the river. They waited for every straggler to cross, every animal of the flock to find its way to its new home. I hope that at least one priest impatiently encouraged the slow to cross the dry riverbed just a little faster, because I am pretty sure that if I was standing in the center of the river that that would have been me. But they stood their ground, under great stress and the promise of the river’s return, and they did for only one reason – because God said so.

We are facing our own floodwaters, but let me encourage you with the words of Jesus – see to it that you are not alarmed. We are the ones who should calm in the face of terror, because we have heard the voice of God. All of these things have to happen. But we know that God is still on the throne.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Joshua 4

No comments:

Post a Comment