Wednesday 11 November 2015

… but the judge must not impose more than forty lashes. If the guilty party is flogged more than that, your fellow Israelite will be degraded in your eyes. – Deuteronomy 25:3


Today’s Scripture Reading (November 11, 2015): Deuteronomy 25

The Islamic State has cheered the election of Justin Trudeau in Canada believing that it means that Canada has been defeated and will withdraw their support to the war against the Islamic State. Trudeau’s decision is one facet of the feeling toward the war in Canada, but there is a depth and variety of feeling with regard to the Mid-East conflict within the country that cannot be denied. Some just seem to want to stick their heads in the sand and somehow believe that in our Global Village, what happens there has nothing to do with what happens here. I am not sure. I am a pacifist. I believe in peace, I want to know that every alternative has been tried and every stone has been turned before war is joined. I believe in a love that extends, not just to my Christian brothers and sisters, but to my Jewish ones and my Muslim ones, and to the Hindu and Buddhist and whatever other line in the sand that we can draw. But the Islamic State bothers me. It bothers me about how they treat life, killing irresponsibly and degrading those that they kill. Their treatment of women seems to be a step beyond that of their other Mid-East siblings and cousins and, at some point, it seems to me that they have crossed a line. The Islamic State seems to revel in degrading life – every life – unless they can find a way to make it serve there purposes. That bothers me. And I am severely disappointed that my nation, Canada, it seems has decided to bury its head in the ground and pretend that what happens there has no bearing on what happens here. I am not sure it was ever that way – but it definitely is not that way now.

The Bible majors in its opposition to degradation although we often miss it because it isn’t always spelled out for us. The biblical stand on sexual promiscuity is made on the grounds that it degrades the person. I am convinced that this is the root of the Bibles opposition to homosexuality, that the practice degrades those involved (this is an extremely complex issue, but if we don’t understand the root cause of the Bible’s opposition to homosexuality we will not have a credible voice with which to speak into the debate over same-sex marriage and homosexual rights in our current society.) The idea that someone who has been emasculated could not enter into the religious life of Israel really finds its roots again in the idea of degrading life. Today, that is still the issue with regard to issues like abortion. It is not that Christians oppose the women’s right to choose, but we believe so strongly in life, both of the mother and the unborn fetus, that we struggle understanding some of the other issues.

This is where I get confused. I am a person of peace, but I struggle with the idea of doing nothing in the face of degrading behavior on the part of the other. As the church, degradation of any person is simply unacceptable behavior. Paul told the church at Ephesus something that I think we often pay little attention to - Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen (Ephesians 4:29). As “People of the Book,” we must stand in the face of degradation and do something to stop it. I am not sure that that means war, but I have to admit that I sometimes fail to see any alternatives. But we must do something – nothing is simply not a ‘Christian’ choice.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 26

In Canada, today is Remembrance Day, the day that we honor the memory of those who have fought for our nation. May we always honor their memory – for what they have done for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment