Saturday 24 January 2015

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters … - Colossians 3:23


Today’s Scripture Reading (January 24, 2015): Colossians 3

As a teen, I worked in a fast food restaurant. It was my first job and I remember thinking to myself as I was working those first few shifts that this was somehow qualitatively different from any place I had ever been before. These people were paying me real money to do the job that I was doing. And if I wanted the money, I needed to respect that. This particular restaurant was managed by hired managers, although it wasn’t a company store – a store owned directly by the franchise. The owners just didn’t live in the city in which I lived (actually, they didn’t even live in the country in which I lived.) And so we didn’t see much of the ones who were really paying the bills; we saw and dealt with the hired managers. But I remember the first day that I was on the floor when one of the owners showed. Actually, he was the son of the owner who probably only had shares in the company by virtue of his relationship with his dad. And when he walked into the restaurant, he took control. He was impeccably dressed, with rings on his fingers and even furs for him and his wife to wear in our northern climate (although I don’t remember it being particularly cold that day). And he looked really out of place with the rest of the clientele that we served. I mean, this was not a fancy restaurant, it was fast food. And it seemed that from the first moment that he entered the store, everyone was nervous. This guy was one of the people who seem to never be happy with anything. Whatever it was that we were doing, it just was not good enough. And when he finally left the restaurant and got into his brand new luxury car and drove away, it felt like even the building breathed a sigh of relief.

A few weeks later my manager came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder and told me that the owner was in the building. Not the son who had showed up a few weeks earlier, but the owner, the big guy, the one who seemed to hold the fate of the world in his hands. My eyes immediately went to the front of the restaurant, searching the faces, trying to identify the one with all the power, but I couldn’t see anyone that would meet my expectations of the one who would be the father of the son that I had met a few weeks earlier. I looked back at my manager and she smiled, and reading my question she pointed to a guy who was placing an order at one of the tills up front. He was an older gentlemen, and he wore a plaid button up shirt and a pair blue jeans. When he stepped away from the till, I would see that his blue jeans ended with a pair of beat-up sneakers (comfortable shoes he called them.) He was leaning on the counter and telling the person taking his order a joke, but he was struggling getting through the joke without laughing himself. No one seemed nervous, in fact, everyone rather gravitated toward him. He shook hands and laughed – and in a mysterious way he fit in with the rest of the store. If I had not been told that this was the multi-millionaire who owned the place, I would never have known. On the outside, there was just nothing special about him. He was extremely comfortable in his own skin and seemed to have no reason to want to prove anything about himself. It seemed almost impossible that this was the father of the impeccably dressed snob who everyone had been afraid of only weeks earlier.

Every time I read this passage, this the image that comes to mind. When you work, work as if it is God that you are working for – because that is the truth. But the problem is that you may not recognize him. Unlike earthly masters who want you to know who they are, God fits in. He isn’t terribly concerned with the way he looks to us. If he was, I think the Bible would read a lot differently. He is God, the creator of everything, so he really has nothing to prove. You may not notice him when you are working at the job site – but he is there. And he is noticing what it is that you are doing.

On that day many years ago, the day when the boss walked in, I remember wanting to be around him, wanting to be noticed by him. When his son had left the store earlier, I was happy that he was gone, but not so with dad. I wanted dad to stick around a little longer. It seemed to be very easy to work for him – maybe partially because he seemed so interested in me.

This is our God. He is the ruler of the universe, and yet he came down to us. He put on his blue jeans, his plaid button up shirt and comfortable shoes just so that he could communicate with us. And he is interested in all that we are. And when we do our work for him, it is easy. Because he has taken notice of us in all of our situations – and we have always wanted to be noticed by him.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Colossians 4

No comments:

Post a Comment