Friday 2 January 2015

Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. – Romans 5:3-4


Today’s Scripture Reading (January 2, 2014): Romans 5

Over the Christmas season, I read an article that highlighted some Facebook posts over the past year. The one thing that all the posts had in common was that they were written by teens complaining about their lot in life. And I have to admit that there were some classics. One Facebook post read “Don’t you hate it when your maids **** up everything in your room.” Yep, I agree that is tough to have to put up with. Another post read “So my parents won’t buy me a MacBook Pro until I clean up my room. Urg, what a horrible punishment.” I am a little surprised that someone hasn’t already reported those parents to Social Services. Actually, after this comment was a discussion on whether or not the author was spoiled. But the person who wrote the post was deeply offended that anyone would think that they were spoiled. I guess some people just jump to conclusions. But maybe one of my favorite posts was in regard to the Christmas gifts that they had received. “Merry Christmas! I got a MacBook Pro, skis and an iPad mini. No iPhone though. L My parents suck.”

Secretly, I hope someone with a warped imagination just wrote the posts (although each post was accompanied by screen shots of the post.) But if they were real, I feel sorry for the kids. Part of parenting is getting our kids ready to live life, and based on the evidence of these Facebook posts, these kids are a long way from being ready for life. But … even though I think this is the common reaction, I also think that secretly maybe we all wish that we were the writers of the posts. I mean, how many of us would clean up our rooms immediately if we knew that there was a MacBook at the end of the task. (Even adults would jump at the task. Hmmm, I wonder if I had my maid clean up the room if I could still get the MacBook.)

This kind of life might be what we want, but it isn’t what we need. The problem is that while we want an easy life, there is no strength that will result in that kind of life. Paul looks at the Roman Church, and sees a church that was had suffered persecution. In fact, at one point the Roman Church had been severely threatened because all of the Jews had been kicked out of the city. The problem was that the Jewish Christians had occupied all of the core leadership positions in the church. And when they were ejected from the city, the Roman Church, the ones who were left, the ones who had never had to lead the Church before, were given the task. If the Roman Church was to survive, it was going to rest on the shoulders of some people who never expected to ever have to lead the Christian Church. And not only that, even after the Jews were evicted, the powers in Rome were not happy with the Church – and they actively persecuted the Church. And there is no reason to believe that the reaction of the Romans was any different from ours. And too often when we don’t get what we want we think that God is mad at us – our response is often “God what I have done wrong that you would treat me this way.”

So Paul instructs the Romans to glory in our sufferings – to be happy when they suffer, because Paul knew that suffering produces perseverance. Suffering is not something that we glide through. If we are going to get to the other side of suffering without letting it define us, we are going to have to persevere. And if we persevere, we develop character. No longer will the winds of life define where it is that we will go. A lack of an iPhone does not change who we are, because there is a strength that has been developed inside of us that wells up out of us when things get hard. And because we have character, we have hope.

And if I am really honest, when I read the Facebook posts, my sense is that there is no suffering, which meant that there could be no perseverance, which had resulted in a definite lack of character, and a lack of hope. There is no hope that for future of the person who wrote the post, they were maxing out in their lives right now – this was as good as life was likely to get for these authors - and there was no hope that these authors would ever do something that would change the world in which they live.

If there is one thing that I know, it is that this year will hold some bad moments. Every year seems to bring its own share of hurt. It is not what we hope for in the opening days of a year, but we know that they are coming. And when they come this year, I hope you can remember that your suffering is ultimately the reason why you – and we – can have hope. There is a strength and a hope that is developed inside of us when we suffer that can be developed no other way. And for that we can be glad even in our suffering.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Romans 6

No comments:

Post a Comment