Saturday 3 January 2015

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? – Romans 6:1-2


Today’s Scripture Readings (January 3, 2015): Romans 6

A recent article struggled with some of the reasons why Bill Cosby is receiving so little support from the Black Community. And the conclusion that it arrived at had very little to do with the charges that are being leveled against the comedian. The problem seems to be that the majority of younger Blacks in America have very little remembrance of Bill Cosby as the great American father figure, Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable. For them, the comedian has become more like a cranky uncle who is always complaining about something. For the past few decades, Cosby has railed against the younger generations for everything from how they dress (please pull up your pants) to child raising (where are the fathers of your children anyway.) However, it is decidedly unfair to place the blame entirely on the shoulders of American Black youth. The White Community is struggling in some of the same areas. The things that Cosby has chosen to criticize the youth of his race for could apply to all youth of any race. And now as the rape charges are surfacing against Cosby, the younger generations are starting to talk back. How come you told us to pull our pants up when apparently you were inappropriately pulling yours down? Why is it us that is the problem? Isn’t your part of the problem much greater than ours?

I need to insert a disclaimer here. I am old enough to remember Cosby as the great Father Figure. Even through the race barrier that exists between us, Dr. Huxtable was in many ways the father that I wanted to be. And as Cosby made fun of the youth of his race, I laughed – not at the Black Youth that Cosby was pointing his finger at, but at the White Youth who I believed needed to hear the same message.

But there is another phenomenon that seems to be at work here. As a speaker, I know that the things that I rail against are the very places where I know that I am vulnerable. Recently I spoke to a congregation and I mentioned three of the areas where I believe the contemporary church is currently struggling – three areas where we were telling God to keep his hands off. For me, the three areas were family, money and addictions. Some were not happy with my analysis – effectively proving that I was right; these are the three areas where we will brook no interference from God. But I didn’t arrive at my three areas through a careful examination of my church, or of my culture. I arrived at my three through a careful examination of my own life. These are three areas where I am vulnerable. It might be, and I really have to stress the word ‘might,’ the same for Cosby. It might be that the things that Cosby has spent his considerable fame railing against were the very areas where the comedian needed help. I recognize that we will never really know whether that is true for Cosby, but I know it is true for me.

So Paul speaks the Roman church about the importance of faith and grace; that God was moving in their midst in spite of them. But then he follows up with the next line of thought. So does that mean that we can stay the way we are and never improve? Does faith and grace form the twin pillars of a foundation that means that sin can reign in our midst or that sin no longer matters to God? And Paul’s answer is a resounding no. There is no room for sin in our midst. Christianity is a journey in grace, but it is journey toward perfection. We need desperately to deal with the sin that remains in our lives. And so I rail against the things where I know I need to grow – I rail against the sins that I need to deal with. I can never be content with where I am. I need to be better. I need to deal with the sin and the weaknesses in my life, and I am not doing the job, a job that I believe God has called me to do, unless I am challenging others to do the same thing in the weak areas of their lives.

And if the accusations against Bill Cosby are true, then this may be one of the areas of vulnerability for the comedian. He may have forgot that in the midst of playing the great American father, that he was still a man that needed to tame the demons raging inside of him. That he was on the same journey with the youth that he pointed his finger at – that all needed to be better.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Readings: Romans 7

No comments:

Post a Comment