Thursday 15 January 2015

“Then the Lord said to me, ‘Go; I will send you far away to the Gentiles.’ The crowd listened to Paul until he said this. Then they raised their voices and shouted, “Rid the earth of him! He’s not fit to live!” – Acts 22:21-22


Today’s Scripture Reading (January 15, 2015): Acts 22

I have some concerns with regard to the Christian Church. I am part of it, although the church may not always believe that this is a good thing. By denomination I am a Baptist, although, again that is not the denomination with which I have always aligned myself. But one of the things that has attracted me to this group is their belief in diversity – at least, a belief that they maintain on paper. Baptist’s hold to the belief that every person, and every congregation, has the right and the duty to do just as God has instructed them. Again, on paper, this is one of the highest duties. No one has the right to impress on someone else their ideas about God. Ideally, as long as I can sit down and explain my beliefs according to the words found in the Bible – the Holy Scriptures, the Book – then people may disagree with the conclusions that I have reached, but they must allow me to follow the God that I serve. I do not pretend to be always right – in fact, I believe that one of the weaknesses of the Christian Church is that we do not fail nearly enough – we do not risk enough as we follow God. But we must be allowed to walk that path.

Recently I had the opportunity to speak to a group of Baptists, however, they were not part of a the congregation to which I belong, about this very idea. And I suggested some hot topic ideas and that have caused division within the Christian church, and in some cases have cause Baptist denominations to condemn Walt Disney Productions – admittedly an interesting practice – and argued that as long as we can honestly say that this is what I believe that God has directed us to do, then we need to be okay with that – accept that.

But we don’t. We find the differences in what we believe as reason to divide and separate. Even the Baptist’s denominations have divided over issues, often issues of marginal importance. The flavor of Baptists to which I belong separated from another flavor over the idea of women in ministry – we believe that we are called to follow God regardless of what sex we happen to be. God calls women to minister in the same way that he calls men. Inside the Christian Church there can be no difference. And for that sin we have been cast out.

Paul is a sought after teacher in Israel, and he holds the attention of the people Jerusalem until he speaks of the Gentiles. As soon as he dares to say that God has sent him to minister to those who are not Jews and have not accepted the Jewish way of life, the people want him dead. That is not an orthodox teaching. Paul cannot have been sent to those who are not Jews. He must be wrong. He must be in sin. And that means that Paul must die.

Yet the people wanted to kill Paul for something that God had truly led him to – the inhabitants of Jerusalem had become deaf to the concerns of God. Their God had been placed in a Jewish box – and he could never emerge, the people wouldn’t let him. And they were willing to kill anyone who dared to say anything differently. This was the God of the Bible that they had read, and discussed, and taught, and what Paul was teaching was simply too dangerous a variation – and it violated everything that they knew about God.

I am concerned for the Christian Church, because sometimes I see in us, not the willingness to follow God like Paul, but a people who have placed God in a box and are desperately afraid to let him out – just like the people who wanted to kill Paul. We don’t have all of the answers, and there may be something very important in the teaching of the ones we would throw away. Could it be that God is once again sending another Paul into his church, so that we can become everything that God has intended us to be? Is that a strong enough possibility to cause us to pause, and simply listen, to those who hold beliefs that are different from ours, but whose ideas still proceed from the same book that we call Holy. 

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Acts 23

No comments:

Post a Comment