Wednesday 29 May 2013

When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” – 1 Kings 19:13

Today’s Scripture Reading (May 29, 2013): 1 Kings 19

I still remember a time when we were on holidays that we went sightseeing at night. I know, what a bad time for a sightseeing trip! But that is what we were doing. I am not sure where it was that we were, I want to say California, but we were travelling down a road when the road abruptly ended at a gate. And beside the gate was a gatehouse and inside the gatehouse was an armed official looking (at least to a little kid) man. The man approached the car and then very politely asked us what we were doing here, with a tone that clearly indicated the here was a place we were definitely not supposed to be. As a child, I think I was sure that we had stumbled onto Area 51 (and yes I know that Area 51 is in Nevada and not California.) But the excitement and the clear message were the same.

Having said all of that, I also am a little nervous about finding myself in a  place that I really do not belong. It is the question that I seem to continually ask myself – am I supposed to be here – because as much as I am a very curious person, I am not comfortable in places where I don’t feel that I belong. During my years of ministry I have on occasion been speaking in places where the idea that do not belong here comes back with a force. It might come through in a question or a comment, but in those moments all I want to do is get out. In fact, there is one place where I still speak on a regular basis where that is the overwhelming feeling. I know that I have been asked (repeatedly) to come, but I still feel on some level that I really do not belong.

Elijah has come to a mountain of God. Experts on the Bible have long wondered if this mountain might be the very one where Moses had met with God and received the Ten Commandments – although there are some discrepancies in the text. But Elijah has escaped from his daily life to spend time on the mountain. And the first question that God asks him is “what are you doing here?” And the underlying message is clear – Elijah, you are not supposed to be here. For every person that feels that somehow they have to escape to some special spot in order to connect with God, this passage would seem to disagree. Elijah’s connection with God would never be stronger than when he was in his place of ministry. Elijah has escaped from culture and has come to what might have been the most sacred place imaginable only to find out that he is not supposed to be there.

As we search for the Holy, sometimes it feels like we are searching for Area 51. We are frustrated by the fact that the holy places do not appear on any map – and sometimes even when we think we have finally arrived, the question that have to deal with is “what do you think you are doing here?” As weird as this might seem, the only real place where we can plug into all that God has, is in that place where God has placed us to minister to other people, places where we can do something to alleviate suffering and bring peace – and be “God with skin on” in the midst of all of the turmoil in this world. That is the place where we can ultimately say that this is the place where we truly belong.


Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Kings 20

No comments:

Post a Comment