Friday 24 May 2013

They also set up for themselves high places, sacred stones and Asherah poles on every high hill and under every spreading tree. – 1 Kings 14:23


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 24, 2013): 1 Kings 14

The cry of the heart of every child that I know is this – if all my friends are doing it, why can’t I. Now, I think even as kids we understood that the statement itself was an exaggeration – not all of our friends were doing it. And I think that deep down we also understood that some of our friends were even lying. But that did not stop us from making the assertion – all of my friends. And so, years later, I can still quote my mom’s response – if all of your friends were going to jump off of the bridge, would you like to jump off as well. I never said it, but I know the response that was in my head wanting to come out of my mouth – no mom that is stupid – and maybe more to the point, I don’t want to jump off a bridge.

Peer pressure is an amazing thing. If all of our friends are doing something, we somehow felt that it was our right to do the same thing – especially if it was something that we wanted to do. When I was in grade six, the local professional football team (the North American version of the game – not soccer or futball) won the league championship. The next day the city’s mayor came out on the radio and cancelled school for that Wednesday so that the kids of the town could show up at the local hockey arena and welcome the football team home. But almost immediately the Chairman of the local School Board and overturned the Mayor’s decision saying that the Mayor had no right to cancel school. The result was confusion. With the Wisdom of Solomon, the schools decided to remain open, but not to take attendance. And so the choice of what to do was left in the hands of the students and their parents. I had friends that fell into three basic categories. Some of my friends were going to school that afternoon; their parents were not going to allow the skipping of school even under these circumstances. Some of my friends (actually a rather small group) were planning to take the bus downtown to the arena and welcome the football team. And another group were simply planning to take the afternoon off. I knew about all three groups, but I also knew exactly what I wanted to do – I wanted to go and yell and scream for the football team – so I informed my mom that “all my friends were going.”

Jeroboam is afraid that if he allows the people of the Northern Kingdom to go to the temple in Jerusalem to worship God, then they will fall victim to the propaganda of the Southern Kingdom. So he builds two calves and tells the nation that this is the God that had brought them out of Egypt – come and worship them. And on some level I think that we totally understand that emotion. But the question that we need to ask is what Rehoboam’s excuse was? Why did he follow Jeroboam’s example and begin to set up other gods. Some experts want to blame Solomon, his dad, and the way that he was raised. But from what we know of Rehoboam, maybe a more logical explanation is simply that he followed the actions of his friends. They were planning to jump of the bridge, so Rehoboam would jump as well.

But maybe on the most basic level, Rehoboam simply did what he wanted to do – he followed the desires of his heart. And if we are not careful (and disciplined) the desires of our hearts will always present us with the opportunity for sin. On that day in Grade six, it ended up that all of my friends turned into one other guy that I barely knew. But together we caught a bus and went to cheer our football team home – not really because all of my friends were doing it – but because it was the thing that I wanted to do.     

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Kings 15

No comments:

Post a Comment