Friday 10 May 2013

“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. “Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.” – Ecclesiastes 1:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 10, 2013): Ecclesiastes 1

I recently watched a video interview with Scott Hamilton, the former Olympic and World Champion figure skater. And one of the things that he said that has stuck with me was about the lasting nature of our accomplishments. He said that he asks the up and coming figure skaters what is the pinnacle of the achievement that they hoped to aspire to. And of course the response is that they want everything that Scott Hamilton had already achieved. They want to be the best. The follow-up question that Scott asks is always “what does that mean – does that mean that you will own a piece of history?” And the response is always, “yes, then history will remember me.” So it is at this point Scott launches his next question – “who won the World Figure Skating Championship in 1962?” Because the truth is that the person that was the World Figure Skating Champion in 1962 expected that they would be remembered by history too; but just over fifty years later they have already been relegated to being a footnote in the history books.

The Teacher understood that. The theme of the whole book of Ecclesiastes is that everything in life is meaningless. The Hebrew word used here is “hebel” and it means vapor or breath. The image is that everything that we could possibly accomplish with our lives is like a person’s breath on a cold day. They exhale and for a moment you can see it, but it quickly disappears. Absolutely nothing is going to last.

And that thought can be a bit of depressing. If everything is meaningless, then what is the use? Give me the reason why I should I work hard at anything if it is not going to last. And that is exactly what the teacher wants us to realize. Accomplishments will fade and die. But maybe if we choose to build into other people, build into their accomplishments; that might have the possibility of lasting – at least a little longer.

There is a great story about Mel Gibson when he was at his lowest moment. “The Passion of the Christ” had been a huge success, but personally he was crashing and burning. At the same time Robert Downy Jr.’s (Ironman) star was on the rise. But Downy had also had his own struggles and demons that he had had to deal with. And at an award ceremony Robert Downey Jr. took a moment to talk about the man that had been there for him at his lowest moment, Mel Gibson. Mel Gibson at the time had to rate as one of the least liked people in Hollywood. But in this moment of celebration about Downy’s accomplishments he said this – “When I couldn’t get sober, Mel told me not to give up hope and urged me to find my faith. I couldn’t get hired so he cast me in the lead of a movie that was actually developed for him. Most importantly he said that if I accepted responsibility for my wrong doings and embraced that part of my soul that was ugly – hugging the cactus he calls it – I would become a man of some humility and that my life would take on a new meaning. I did it, and it worked. And all he asked in return was that someday I would help the guy next in some small way. It is reasonable to assume at the time that he didn’t imagine that the next guy would be him or that someday would be tonight. On this special occasion I humbly ask you to join me in forgiving my friend his trespasses and offer him the same clean slate that you have given to me. He has hugged the cactus long enough.”

Maybe not everything is meaningless.  

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Ecclesiastes 2

No comments:

Post a Comment