Thursday 2 August 2012

Moses answered them, “Wait until I find out what the LORD commands concerning you.” – Numbers 9:8


Today’s Scripture Reading (August 2, 2012): Numbers 9

Did you know that there are some things in your life that you absolutely do not have to pray about? Did you know that there are decisions in your life that do not require any kind of conversation with God? I have made that statement to a few friends over the years and usually I get a surprised look as a response. Are we not to pray about everything? And the answer actually is no. There are some things that should be obvious us. I do not have to pray about whether or not I have to love my neighbor. It is the foundation of my faith. I do not have to pray about whether I am to treat the Muslim that waits on me at the local convenience store with respect (and love) – the answers is yes, and praying is not going to change that. I do not have to pray about whether or not it is okay to kill someone (any someone) – the answer to that is a resounding no. I do not have to pray about whether or not I tithe and honor God with my finances. All of these questions are answered in several passages in the Bible – so there is no need for me to pray.

Often in counselling that is the question that seems to trip people up. They have committed an act that is clearly prohibited biblically, and the response to it is often that they prayed and God said it was okay, but now it is blowing up in their faces. What happened? And my response is usually, you knew the right thing to do, but you convinced yourself of something different. God is never going to contradict what he has laid out clearly in the Bible just to satisfy your wants. I believe that you might have prayed, but it was not God who answered.

But everything is not clear. There are questions that the Bible has no answer for. There are no Biblical passages that lay out our answers – and so we pray. Sometimes the answer does not come right away. But in these circumstances, we are instructed to be persistent in our prayers.

Moses was confronted with a contradiction of Biblical directives. The Passover was important. It was one of the celebrations that were mandatory in its observance. But life also brought with it certain events that would bring with them consequences that would exclude them from the celebrations. And the two assertions found themselves in conflict with each other.

Life does that to us. We find ourselves caught, and that is one of the times that we need to find our knees – because it is then that persistent prayer is the appropriate response.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Numbers 10

No comments:

Post a Comment