Saturday 11 August 2012

Bring your fellow Levites from your ancestral tribe to join you and assist you when you and your sons minister before the Tent of the Testimony. – Numbers 18:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (August 11, 2012): Numbers 18

One of my frustrations as a Pastor is that I know that I do not measure up to the expectations that people have of me. And when I say that to some of the leaders, their response is often to try to give me some advice on how I can do better at living up to the job description that they have more me. And my problem is that that is not really the point. Right now I am mulling over some conversations and questions that I know need to be asked at my next leadership meeting. I am also anticipating some of their answers. And I know that the anticipated answers are great answers, I am almost hoping that they will put forward the ideas – but the truth is that the solution I am anticipating, even though it is a good and required solution, it is also outside of my gifting. It needs to be done, but I know that I cannot be the one expected to do it.

I also know that the same scene is playing itself out in churches and businesses all across the world. There is a solution to our problems, but it is not a solution that the Pastor or the CEO can accomplish alone. Someone else needs to come alongside us and help with the task.

The problem does not lie in the leader – the problem is in the expectation. Whenever we expect one person to know everything and be the answer to all of the problems of the community we are making a mistake – and we are being unbiblical. God makes it clear to Moses that anyone who ministers in the Tabernacle is not to do it alone. Everyone who ministers in the Tabernacle has a purpose – and a gifting to take care of the task. And that includes the ones in leadership positions. We all need some help.

In the New Testament, the Christian Community talks a lot about the ministry of the Paraclete, the counselor or the comforter – the one who comes alongside. And we recognize that the Paraclete is the Holy Spirit. But sometimes what we miss is that the Holy Spirit ministers through us. That makes each one of us the Paraclete. And that means that the expectations cannot be about the leader, but rather about what we do together. It takes all of us to accomplish the goals of the community. And our theme needs to be that our community is a place “where no one ministers alone.”

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Number 19

No comments:

Post a Comment