Tuesday 8 October 2024

When your brother is no longer angry with you and forgets what you did to him, I'll send word for you to come back from there. Why should I lose both of you in one day?" – Genesis 27:45

Today's Scripture Reading (October 8, 2024): Genesis 27

Tony Campolo tells a story about a man named Charlie Stoltzfus. I love Tony's stories, and this is one of my favorites. According to Tony, he was asked to speak at a small Pentecostal college near his home. He says he loves going to this little school because the people there seem to be so in touch with the power of the Holy Spirit.

Before the chapel service, several of the faculty members took him into a side room to pray with him. He got down on his knees, and the six of them put their hands on his head and prayed for him, asking the Holy Spirit to fill him up and use him effectively as he spoke to the students. Pentecostals seem to pray longer and with more dynamism than Baptists, my tribe, do. These men prayed long, and the longer they prayed, the more they leaned on his head. They prayed on and on and leaned harder and harder. One of them kept whispering, "Do you feel the Spirit? Do you feel the Spirit?" Tony says he felt something right at the base of his neck, but he wasn't sure it was the Spirit.

One of the faculty members prayed at length about a man named Charlie Stolzfus.  Tony says he was kind of ticked off with him. He thought to himself, "If you're going to lean on my head, the least you can do is pray for me." But this guy prayed on and on for this guy who was about to abandon his wife and three children. He was calling out, "Lord! Lord! Don't let this man leave his wife and children! Send an angel to bring that man back to his family. Don't let that family be destroyed! You know who I'm talking about, Lord. Charlie Stoltzfus. He lives down the road about a mile on the right-hand side in a silver trailer.

I've heard these prayers; I've prayed these prayers. But you know, in all honesty, I think God knows where the guy lives. What are we thinking? God is up in heaven with a pad and pencil saying, "Back up, could you give me that address again?"

Following the chapel talk, Tony got into his car and headed home. As he got out on the highway, he saw a young man hitchhiking, and Tony pulled over to give him a ride. As he pulled back out onto the road, he said, "Hi, my name is Tony Campolo; what's your name?"

He said, "My name is Charlie Stoltzfus!"

Tony says he didn't say a word. He just drove down the highway, got off at the next exit, turned around, and started back. When he did that, Charlie looked at him and said, "Hey, mister. Where are you taking me."

Tony replied, "I'm taking you Home."

Charlie asked, "Why?"

"Because you just left your wife and your three children, right?

Charlie was a little stunned. "Right! Right!" Charlie Stolzfus leaned against the passenger side door the rest of the way. Tony drove off the highway onto a side road, past the small Pentecostal college, right to a silver trailer, and turned into the driveway.

And Charlie looked at him with astonishment, "How'd you know I lived here?"

Tony looked at him and said, "God told me." I am convinced that sometimes God can have fun with these situations. Tony told Charlie, "You get into that trailer because I want to talk to you and your wife." Charlie ran into the trailer ahead of him. Tony says he doesn't know what Charlie told his wife, but when Tony walked through the door, her eyes were as big as saucers. He sat down and said, "I'm going to talk, and you'll listen." And did they listen. Both of them accepted Jesus that night. But here is the hard reality. Charlie's sin moved him out from where he was to a place where God could use him. Tony reports that today, Charlie is a Pastor.

Similarly, sin moved Jacob out of the place where he was and into a place where God could use him. I don't want you to think this was the last time Jacob sinned and that he lived happily ever after. Jacob's life doesn't have that kind of ending. But God moved him to a place where he was uncomfortable so that he could be who God had always intended Jacob to be.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Genesis 28

No comments:

Post a Comment