Monday 14 October 2024

He put the female servants and their children in front, Leah and her children next, and Rachel and Joseph in the rear. – Genesis 33:2

Today's Scripture Reading (October 14, 2024): Genesis 33

Do you have a favorite child? I know, what a question, but you don't have to tell anyone. I don't think I do, but I only have two children. I also have five grandchildren, but the reality is that each one of them is so different that I love something different about every one of them. At the same time, I think through conversations I have had with both my adult children and believe they would say that the other child was my favorite. Which, I hope, means that I got it somewhat right.

If you are wondering if you do have a favorite child, here are some questions to ask yourself. First question: is there one child you talk about more than others? Now, if there is, that does not necessarily mean that you have a favorite child but a child that needs you more than the others. But it might be a hint. Second question: Is there a child with whom you have significantly increased one-on-one interaction? Again, there can be some harmless reasons for this, such as if one child lives closer to you than the others, but it is another warning sign.

A third question might be, is there one child for whom some family rules don't apply? You can be a disciplinarian with some of your kids, but one is allowed to violate the rules without punishment. Fourth, does one child enjoy material advantages? Your wallet follows your heart; sometimes, this is a true sign that one child is your favorite. Fifth, when your kids fight, is there one child who usually receives your support?

Sixth, do your family activities usually revolve around making one child happy? And lastly, Is there one child to whom you make comparisons? How often do you say, why can't you be more like your brother or sister?

I know I said last, but maybe there is one more, although I hope you will never have to follow through on this question. Here it is. If you had to send your children into a dangerous situation, who would you send in first? I know that is unimaginable. But it is precisely what Jacob does. Jacob saw Esau, but he had no idea how his brother would react to his presence. And so, he sends his family to him in groups. The first group included his female servants and their children, who were also Jacob's children. Next, his first wife, Leah, and her children. In the last group was Rachel and Joseph, his favorite wife and favored son. There could be no doubt that Jacob had a favorite. And they were the last to be sent into a possibly dangerous situation.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Genesis 34

No comments:

Post a Comment