Friday 28 July 2023

Therefore I will stretch out my hand against you and give you as plunder to the nations. I will wipe you out from among the nations and exterminate you from the countries. I will destroy you, and you will know that I am the LORD. – Ezekiel 25:7

Today's Scripture Reading (July 28, 2023): Ezekiel 25

I admit that I have a morbid curiosity about how different Empires have ended. Maybe that is because I have lived my life in an era of World History where there has been a significant change in the Table of Nations, with some countries ceasing to exist while older Kingdoms have reinserted themselves on the World Stage. When I was growing up, I had a huge National Geographic map that hung on my bedroom wall. And I spent significant time considering the various nations on the map. I have always been interested in various geopolitical events, and I remember times when it seemed that Canada might devolve into two or more countries. The situation that would instigate the destruction of Canada was the threatened independence of Quebec. If Quebec decided to leave the country, I theorized, as a kid, that maybe the Atlantic provinces might be absorbed into the United States. At the same time, Quebec would become a French-speaking nation, Ontario would become Canada, and the Western Provinces would become a separate nation; maybe we could call them Adanac, which is Canada spelled backward. And as I looked at my map, the thought of such an upset to the well-ordered nations represented in various colors on my wall seemed unthinkable.

But all of that was before the dissolving of the Soviet Union and then the almost constant reorganizations of the nations in Eastern Europe and Asia that have almost become a constant reality throughout my adult life. I wish I still had that map of my youth, although it wouldn't look anything like a map that reflects the world as it stands today. A contemporary World Map includes many nations that my youthful self would not recognize.

Ezekiel asserts that Ammon would disappear from the Table of Nations. If maps were printed and placed on the walls of interested children, there would be a time when Ammon would be on those maps, followed by a time when it would not. But exactly when that happened has been a matter of open debate. For some, that moment of disappearance came during the reign of Nebuchadnezzar II and the Babylonian Empire. But we aren't sure. It might be that the nation disappeared at that time, but the people remained a significant presence in the world for another six or seven centuries. The people may have influenced the world nations even after the time of the ministry of Christ and the development of the early Christian Church, just as the Jewish people remained a real force in the world for almost 1900 years, between 70 C.E. and 1948 C.E., a time when there was no Jewish nation that existed on the world stage. But, at some time after the ministry of Christ, even the Ammonites became an extinct race, absorbed into the other nations and people of the area.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 52

No comments:

Post a Comment