Tuesday 25 July 2023

So Johanan son of Kareah and all the army officers and all the people disobeyed the LORD’s command to stay in the land of Judah. – Jeremiah 43:4

Today's Scripture Reading (July 25, 2023): Jeremiah 43

I have a few pet peeves, and one of them is people who ask for my advice and then promptly and consistently ignore it. Several years ago, I was asked to meet with a couple who were going through some marital problems. And I have employed various strategies in these situations, but for this one, I decided to meet individually with the couple before we came together to talk. In these individual sessions, I felt like I got a reasonably good feel for the marital situation. And then we came together. I had developed a couple of plans that I thought might help heal the differences that had developed in the marriage, but when we began to talk together, neither of these people was willing to admit what we had talked about when we were alone. In the individual sessions, mountains were to be climbed to keep the relationship healthy, but together, they denied anything wrong; and I felt like we had wasted a lot of time. There was no fourth meeting, and the couple remain together, so maybe they did know what was best.

I have developed a habit that whenever someone asks me for advice, my response is, “Do you really want to know?” Because I won’t pull my punches, if you are going to ask, I will tell you what I think. And you can take it or leave it. But if you continue to ask my advice and consistently ignore what I say, then I will begin to resent that you bother asking.

The people of Israel have come to Jeremiah to enquire of God. What does God want us to do? Their commitment to Jeremiah is whatever God tells you; we promise to follow the advice. So, Jeremiah tells them that God wants them to stay in the Promised Land. If they did, God would heal them and heal the land. He would take the remnant and build it into a nation. There was no reason to fear Babylon; God was still in control.

But that wasn’t the advice that the people wanted to hear. And so, despite their commitment, they chose to ignore the advice. Obviously, Jeremiah was wrong. While they had committed to following what God told them through the prophet, they meant they would follow any advice that matched their desire. Give us that advice, and we will do it. But if God thinks differently from me, well, I think I will trust what I believe is right.

There is an old joke about two people arguing about the advantages of traditional and contemporary worship. And when they get to the subject of the moving of the Holy Spirit in worship, one comments that “The Holy Spirit is free to move in our services, as long as he doesn’t do anything weird.” But that is part of the problem. The moves of God can often be weird, which was precisely the problem in Judah. Escaping to Egypt made sense; staying in Judah was weird. And the people were not about to follow any weird moves of God.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 44 &45

No comments:

Post a Comment