Wednesday 22 June 2022

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. – Psalm 18:16

Today's Scripture Reading (June 22, 2022): Psalm 18

Many years ago, I was involved in an accident with a canoe. I was out with a friend, rowing on a busy lake, when a speedboat passed us just a little too close to our canoe. We were swamped, and I tried to grab one last breath before going under the water's surface. Unfortunately, I was already underwater before I took that last breath. My friend and I were both wearing life jackets, so I was in no danger of sinking. But after I got back to the surface, I found that I still couldn't breathe.

My friend reached out his hand and grabbed hold of me, and then dragged me back to a dock where I was able to get up and continue to try to breathe. Then, my friend went back and got our canoe. He brought it over to the dock and placed me back into it. And then he guided us back to the car and then to his home. And all through this time, about all that I could do was continue to try to breathe. Eventually, I ended up in the hospital, and many people worked to get me breathing easily again. But my recovery was started by one friend who was willing to extend his hand and get me out of the water.

David feels like he is drowning. He is overwhelmed by his circumstances and doesn't know which way to turn. His enemy is too strong for him, but he understands that his only chance is if God would come to his rescue; he is looking for a hand that will lift him out of danger.

And so, as David pens this Psalm, he uses the imagery of a drowning person looking desperately for the hand that will reach through the water's surface and lift him out. His situation might be beyond his ability to rescue, but he understood that God could help him through any circumstance, regardless of how desperate the problem might be. Charles Spurgeon responds to this Psalm by reminding us that "some will not see the hand of God, but I warrant you, brethren, those who have been delivered out of the deep waters will see it. Their experience teaches them that God is yet among us." He is right. And when you're drowning, all you need to see is that one hand reaching out to help you out of the water.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Psalm 19

No comments:

Post a Comment