Thursday 2 June 2022

After David was settled in his palace, he said to Nathan the prophet, "Here I am, living in a house of cedar, while the ark of the covenant of the LORD is under a tent." – 1 Chronicle 17:1

Today's Scripture Reading (June 2, 2022):  1 Chronicles 17

Confession time: I suffer from "house guilt." Some years ago, a couple of friends tried to convince me to move with them into a newer subdivision, and one of the many reasons I didn't move is that I really like my house. Don't get me wrong; I like my home. My house is nice, really more than I deserve. I have other contacts who think they live in "less nice" homes who believe that I should sell my house and downsize, giving the money to other ministries. But God hasn't convinced me of that, at least not yet. Part of my self-justification is that while my home might be worth more than theirs (I don't know if that is true), I bought it a long time ago and paid less than half of the current market value. Some of those who think that I should sell believe that I should live in a rented apartment or small house, but the rent payments that they pay are significantly higher than my mortgage payment. If I did sell and move into a rented residence, I would not be able to do some of the things that I do or support some charitable causes toward which I give some money. So, at least for now, I am content to sit back and suffer from house guilt.

Apparently, I am not the only one. David also suffered from house guilt. He lived in a house built for a king, while his God lived in a tent erected by a King. And David wanted to change that. However, he did not make plans to go out and live in a tent. Instead, he desired to move God into a house as grand as the house in which David lived. And it is David's house guilt that planted the first seeds of the Temple in the King's mind.

Of course, David would not build the Temple; his son Solomon would have that task. But the dream of a house worthy of God never died inside of David. The discussion of the Temple likely occupied much of David's time with his sons. In the process, David instilled the dream of a Temple into the next generation. Every element of the Temple was likely discussed. Plans were drawn and then redrawn. And in the process, hope was passed on from David to the one who would ultimately be responsible for building a house for God, Solomon.

It was in this way that David dealt with his house guilt. He made sure that a house would be built for God, whether God wanted one or not. And just as a note, I am pretty sure that God did not mind living in his Tent, ritually occupying the Holy of Holies inside the Tabernacle, which was God's designated home. But in this case, what God may have wanted didn't weigh as heavily on David as the house guilt from which David suffered. And it was only the dream of the Temple that could take the guilt away.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 18

No comments:

Post a Comment