Monday 4 April 2022

Samuel explained to the people the rights and duties of kingship. He wrote them down on a scroll and deposited it before the LORD. Then Samuel dismissed the people to go to their own homes. - 1 Samuel 10:25

Today's Scripture Reading (April 4, 2022): 1 Samuel 10

Books; I have to admit that I own a lot of them from various genres and on multiple subjects. One of my younger friends came into my office and was amazed by the number of books finding their home there. I smiled and told him that I have probably twice the number of books in my office at home. My friend decided to try to be smart and scoffed, wondering if I had ever heard of electronic books, to which I pointed at my Kobo e-reader and told him that I had another five hundred books there.

What might be even more amazing is that I still have more books that I would love to buy and read, and of course, there are all the library books that I have borrowed and read over the years. Apparently, I like to read. And don't get me started on the books that I would love to write. Welcome to my world.

The Apostle John closes his gospel with these words. "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written" (John 21:25). One thing that seems to confuse some Christians is that there were other books written in the era of both the Hebrew Bible or Tanakh and the Christian Bible that have been lost or rejected from the list of biblical texts that we have in the Bible. For the lost books, we have to trust that God simply saw no reason to protect them. As far as the rejected books, they are not in the Bible because we believe that they were written by someone pretending to be a biblical author. One example, with a positive spin, is the "Acts of Paul and Thecla." The book is a religious romance and tells the story of the Apostle Paul's influence on a young woman named Thecla. The book is fiction, written by a young priest who greatly respected Paul. But because it is fiction, as are many books in what we call the Christian Apocrypha, it has been left out of the biblical canon. It might be an interesting read, giving insight into the life of the early church, but it cannot be part of our Holy Scriptures.

Samuel instructed the people on what they could expect as people living under the rule of a king. Most likely, he used Deuteronomy 17:14-20 as a base for his instructions. However, there is little doubt that Samuel mixed in a lot of his personal misgivings concerning a monarchy in Israel and how it would differ from the age of the Judges. And then, Samuel wrote down everything that he had told the people in a book. In future times, when he was no longer with them, they would be able to find everything that he said in written form.

We have books written by Samuel, including parts of the Book of Judges, Ruth, and the first twenty-four chapters of the Book of Samuel. But this book that he wrote on the expectations placed on a king and his people is counted among the lost, maybe because God felt it was not important enough to save.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 11

No comments:

Post a Comment