Monday 18 April 2022

I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips. – Psalm 34:1

Today's Scripture Reading (April 18, 2022): Psalm 34

There are some things that I believe but about which I don't tend to talk. And often, I don't talk about these things because I am not 100% sure of my beliefs, and I don't really think that it matters. I try not to talk about end times prophecy. Once in a while, a friend will draw me into the discussion, and I enjoy the argument, but I am not convinced that this is a subject where we should expend much energy. I have had many friends die who have told me that they were never going to die because Jesus's return was that close. They were wrong, but that is not something in which I take any solace. I want Jesus to return, but I recognize that every generation since Jesus's crucifixion believed that they were living in the last days. And every one of those generations were wrong. I see the signs. I think his return is close, but that is not where I believe that I am supposed to place my focus. I am to live every moment as if his return will happen 10 minutes from now, and if I do that, then when he does come back, I will be ready. And hopefully, those around me will be ready for that return as well. But what I think about the various prophecies that have arisen during my life doesn't really matter, and it doesn't require my voice.

David says that he will praise God at all times and in all circumstances. David asserts that words praising God will continually be on his lips. And he is right. There are many things that we don't need to talk about, but praise of God is something that deserves to be endlessly on our lips. Specifically, David had been rescued from the Philistines. When David had no one to turn to, God came to his rescue.   

And so, praise comes pouring out of David. It is on his lips, and it flows through his hands as he writes his poetry. God is part of every aspect of his life. David refuses to be silent. Charles Spurgeon explains it this way.

"Others may do what they please, and murmur, and complain, and be filled with dread and apprehension of the future; but I will bless the Lord at all times. I can always see something for which I ought to bless him. I can always see some good which will come out of blessing him. Therefore, will I bless him at all times. And this." says the Psalmist, "I will not only do in my heart, but I will do it with my tongue. His praise shall continually be in my mouth," that others may hear it, that others may begin to praise him, too, for murmuring is contagious, and so, thank God, is praise; and one man may learn from another — take the catchword and the keyword out of another man's mouth, and then begin to praise God with him.   

Our praise of God cannot be lifted as a silent acknowledgment of belief; our praise needs to reach our lips so that it can be spread to those around us.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Psalm 56

No comments:

Post a Comment