Monday 25 October 2021

They made the bronze basin and its bronze stand from the mirrors of the women who served at the entrance to the tent of meeting. – Exodus 38:8

Today's Scripture Reading (October 25, 2021): Exodus 38

I grew up hearing about the "me generation." It was described as the generation that was so self-absorbed that it couldn't see beyond its own needs. It was a selfish generation. I have heard of this generation several times since, to the point where I am unsure of the generation about which we are speaking. Over the years, I have noticed that every generation seems to have the same complaint about the generation that follows them. Whoever the speaker is, it always seems to be another generation that is the "me generation." It is never us.

But there is another truth. The good news is that some individuals from every generation always go beyond expectations to get the job done. Regardless of the generation of which you might find yourself a part, there have always been those that would sacrifice everything to achieve a purpose that is beyond them, even in the supposed "me generation."

There appears to have been a tradition at the Tabernacle for a group of women who believed that they were called to support the priests in the fulfillment of their duty. And some of those women not only gave up their time to support the priests, but they also gave up what was likely one of their most prized possessions, their mirrors. Mirrors of the day were made of highly polished bronze. With all of the uses and needs for bronze, these mirrors were rare and not easily replaced. But the cost and the impossibility of finding a replacement were not an issue for these women. Someone else's need moved them.

If all we ever think about is ourselves, this world won't be here very long. Life can't be about me; it has to be about us. We will never reach our full potential, the unlimited possibility of me, unless we learn to reach out beyond ourselves. We need to be willing to donate what is precious to us to get beyond where we are today. To reach my potential, I must be other-focused.

Several people in my life have "donated their mirrors" to make this world a better place. And my world is a better place because of their sacrifice. Thank you just doesn't seem to be enough, but it is what I have to give. Thank you. Know that your sacrifice is making a huge difference.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Exodus 39

No comments:

Post a Comment