Thursday 28 October 2021

He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. - Psalm 91:4

Today's Scripture Reading (October 28, 2021): Psalm 91  

I have had a lot of friends in life, but only a few of them have stayed beside me when I was in trouble. The pattern of my life, and I can only speak of my experiences, has been that I have many friends when things are going well, but very few want to be near me when things turn sour. And maybe nothing hurts more than being in trouble and watching people walk out of my life at the same time.

Years ago, I remember meeting in a restaurant with someone I considered to be one of my best friends. It was a season when I was beleaguered, and, admittedly, I was also the reason for my trouble. But it was at that moment that my friend decided to inform me that he was taking a break from our friendship. It was a painful moment in my life. We ate together, and then I watched him walk out the door. It is the last image I have of my friend; Decades have passed, and I haven't seen or heard from him since.

We all have similar stories. We all go through seasons of trouble, and we have watched friends walk away from us during those seasons of our lives. I have some friends who walked away from me when I was in trouble but then returned to renew the friendship once that season had passed. But something had permanently changed, and those friendships never seemed to be the same.

Psalm 91 has no title and, therefore, we are not entirely sure who wrote it. Some believe that it is a continuation of Psalm 90, which Moses wrote, while others feel that it was written by David. Others wonder if Psalm 91 might be an early version of the thoughts that Moses later wrote down in Psalm 90. We are choosing the latter option, that Moses wrote Psalm 91 before the Prophet wrote Psalm 90.

But, regardless of who wrote it, the intent of the author is evident. The author of the Psalm is committing himself to the relationship he has with his God. When his God calls, he will answer. And even when the situation is dire, and trouble seems to be all around him, he will still maintain his relationship with God. When everything is going wrong, Moses will still trust that God is walking with him and knows what is best. Even in the face of trouble, he will give honor to the God who has befriended him.

Of course, the reverse is also true. Even in times of trouble, often of our own making, God stays with us. It is the promise that Jesus left with his disciples and one that God's church has depended on throughout the generations. "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:20).

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Leviticus 1

No comments:

Post a Comment