Monday 16 August 2021

The LORD appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day. – Genesis 18:1

 

Today's Scripture Reading (August 16, 2021): Genesis 18

Young Adult fiction author Lauren Myracle argues, "I live in my own little world. But its ok, they know me here." I know that place, and I am very thankful for it. The older I get, the more convinced I am that home is not necessarily a specific place; it is the people we gather around us. And maybe throughout our lives, the people change. But as long as the people get us, it can be home. And when they don't, then we can still retreat into our little world.

But, some places hold an emotional connection for us. In my life, there are four significant places where I still have an emotional connection. Newmarket, Ontario, is where my life began and where I first learned the importance of family. But another important place for me is Calgary, Alberta, where I moved when I was eight years old and built some of the first lasting friendships of my life. Claresholm, a small Southern Alberta town where both of my kids were born, is yet another special place in my memories. And Edmonton, Alberta, my home for the past quarter-century, and the place where people seem to get me now. But I still live in my own little world, and for the most part, the people there still get me.

Mamre was a significant place in Abraham's life, and it was there that God chose to appear to Abraham. As Christians, we believe that this was likely a pre-incarnation appearance of Jesus. John the Apostle wrote that "No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known" (John 1:18). So, if this truly is God that is appearing to Abraham, it can only be God in the form of Jesus.

And so, maybe it was Jesus who came to Abraham at Mamre. In the heat of the day, Abraham is sitting at the entrance to his tent, near the great terebinth trees, a deciduous tree native to the Mediterranean. Abraham's purpose is to be in the shade in the extreme heat of the day. It was what people did to conserve energy as the day got hotter. Maybe God chose that moment because he knew that he would have Abraham's attention, and God chose Mamre because that was the place that Abraham called home and the place to which he kept returning.

Mamre was the place that Abraham called home when he first returned to the promised land. "So Abram went to live near the great trees of Mamre at Hebron, where he pitched his tents. There he built an altar to the Lord" (Genesis 13:18). It was there that Abraham bought a cave to use for his wife, Sarah's, burial (Genesis 23:17-19). And when the time came for Abraham to die, "His sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah near Mamre." Mamre, sitting at the entrance of his tent, by the great terebinth trees, was Abraham's own little world; it was the place, above all other places where Abraham wanted to be, because they knew him there.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Genesis 19

No comments:

Post a Comment