Monday 2 August 2021

If they obey and serve him, they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity and their years in contentment. – Job 36:11

Today's Scripture Reading (August 2, 2021): Job 36

My story isn't over. Oh, many of the pages have been written, but there is still more writing to come. I am anxiously waiting for the chapters of promise that have yet to be revealed. And I am not a passive participant in my story. I know that the chapters that have been written have been mainly written by my hand. But in the recording of my account, I also recognize the presence of another hand and a different kind of writing. It is that other hand that has lifted me up in moments when I was down. It is that other hand that has found me when I was sure that I was lost. It has acted as the cavalry in my life, riding over the horizon at just the right moment.

Don't get me wrong, there are also moments when I was lost, and I seemed to stay lost for a long time. But even these terrifying moments are just segments of the story. Maybe sometimes they served as the end of a chapter, but they do not tell the whole story, and they do not sum up my life or the chapters that are yet to be written.

Elihu's argument continues, outlining his belief that Job's struggle is evidence of his sin. If Job had been as righteous as he claimed, then Job would have been prosperous. But Job is no longer successful, and what he had has been taken away from him, Elihu believes, because of Job's sin. Elihu thinks that this is a universal reality; what has happened to Job will also happen to all who do evil on the earth. Elihu's theology is a cousin to one that is still preached today. The argument that has been repeated from many pulpits in the advanced nations is that God wants you to be wealthy and successful. After all, he owns the cattle on a thousand hills; he possesses the wealth of the land; why would he not want to give it to you. Therefore, if you are successful, God is with you. But the reverse is also true. If you sin, then God will curse you.

As far as Elihu is concerned, Job is cursed and because Job has sinned. Maybe it is just the pride that Job has shown during his conversation with his friends, or perhaps it is something else, but what cannot be disputed is that Job was paying the price for his sin.

But the mistake that Elihu and the rest of Job's critics are making is believing that Job's story is over; this is his final act. But the truth that the reader knows is that this is not the last chapter. And in the final chapter, Job will be restored.

And so will we. We know that our restoration is at hand because we have read the final chapter of God's story, and here is the spoiler; the Lamb wins, and that means so do we!

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 37

No comments:

Post a Comment