Wednesday 3 February 2021

You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. – 1 Thessalonians 1:6

Today's Scripture Reading (February 3, 2021): 1 Thessalonians 1 & 2

Friedrich Nietzsche said that “We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.” Maybe it is just the need for a natural expression of the heart that makes dancing important, even if it is just a dance that is only revealed in our sway to the music. Or maybe it is our connection with others, because even if we are dancing alone, it doesn’t seem to take long for others to see us, and want to join us in the dance.

Paul preached about a risen Christ, but what is even more important is that he lived it. He danced the dance of Christianity, and others were always invited to join him in the dance. Paul’s invited them into the community of the redeemed, and they became imitators of Paul, as Paul imitated Christ. Paul proclaims that some of the ones he had welcomed into the dance were in the midst of severe suffering, but they still found a joy in the dance that was given to them by the Holy Spirit.

Paul had never been shy at inviting others into sharing the dance with him. And he was always willing to take the lead. In his first letter to the Corinthians, Paul chastises the Corinthian church over the divisions that had developed within the body that were making the dance impossible.

My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas [Peter]”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized in my name (1 Corinthians 1:11-15).

The dance in the church was being defined by the dance partner. And Paul had evidently had enough. This was not what God had intended for his church. He had designed a dance that we could share with each other, overflowing with the joy that he had placed in our hearts.

Later in his letter, Paul simply summed up his position like this; Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ” (1 Corinthians 11:1). Come and dance with me, and I will lead you as I follow in the steps of Jesus.

It is still the call of the church. Christianity should never be summed up with a list of rules. It is an invitation into a dance that our hearts, filled with joy, are aching to perform. It is something that we share, as we follow each other, knowing that the others are trying to follow the steps of Christ as he dances with us.  

The Christian invitation is always into the dance. So, come and dance with me.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Thessalonians 3 & 4

No comments:

Post a Comment