Sunday 7 February 2021

I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand, which is the distinguishing mark in all my letters. This is how I write. – 2 Thessalonians 3:17

Today's Scripture Reading (February 7, 2021): 2 Thessalonians 3

Early on in my ministry, on a Saturday night after a really tough week, I was still working on my message destined to be preached the following morning. Only on this night, my computer had decided not to co-operate. For some reason, regardless of the key I pressed on my computer, a different letter appeared on the screen. My sermon, well, maybe it could have been described as being written in tongues, but the problem was that there was no one with me who could interpret it for me.

I related the story the next morning to the congregation, and one of the older members was visibly disturbed by my account. I couldn't figure out why until I spoke to him after the service. Somehow, he thought that my computer was writing my sermon, and he didn't want to hear what my computer had to say; he wanted to hear from me. And I needed to explain to him that my computer was basically my typewriter and assure him that I was writing the sermon and that the ideas I spoke did belong to me.

We often don't understand how any of the letters in the New Testament were written. In our imaginations, we often picture Paul sitting at a desk with a quill in hand, diligently writing his letters to the churches and to individual Christian leaders in the church. But that isn't the way that any of the letters were written. Instead, the authors of the New Testament's letters, and many books of the Tanakh or the Hebrew Bible, used a secretary or amanuensis, to write the letters. An example from the Hebrew Bible would be Jeremiah's use of a friend named Baruch as his secretary.

In the case of Paul's letters in the New Testament, the apostle would tell his secretary what he wanted to say, and his secretary would write it down. Various secretaries were given more or less latitude in what they wrote down. Sometimes it was more word for word transcription of what was being said, but at other times these secretaries were allowed to phrase the wording as they thought was best, all of which, sometimes, gave the letters a slightly different flavor.

Luke, the author of the "Gospel of Luke" and the "Acts of the Apostles," was probably the amanuensis for some of Paul's later letters. In the case of the letter to the Thessalonians, the secretary was likely Timothy. But it was always Paul who wrote the greetings at the end of the letters, in his own hand. It was his signature and a sign that he was the author of all of the ideas and teachings contained within. And regardless of how the amanuensis phrased the concepts, they were all Paul approved.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Acts 19

No comments:

Post a Comment