Friday 18 December 2020

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are. – Matthew 23:15

Today's Scripture Reading (December 18, 2020): Matthew 23

Early in my pastoral career, I was given some advice by a retired pastor in the congregation with which I was associated. The advice? Whatever it is that you do, do it with confidence. It might be your first time, but no one needs to know that. They don’t know what is supposed to happen, so if you are confident, it won’t matter what the details might be that you might get wrong.

For some, it might have been good advice. But the student in me was convinced that if I followed the advice, then I would never be anything more than a pretender. And that was something that I never wanted to be. And so, I studied, and prayed, and tried to get things right; at least, as right as I could.

Yet, there are still areas where I am lacking. I am flesh and blood, with all of the limitations that A that implies. There are things in my life for which I wish I could have been given a do over; a chance to maybe get it right. But that is not life. Those moments of error are a part of all of us. What is important is what we do with that error, and where it is that we want to lead those within our circles of influence. And at the end of the process, my hope is that the only place I am leading people is into a genuine relationship with a very real God who is present with us.

There was nothing wrong with the missionary accomplishments of the Pharisees. Even Jesus argued that if a lamb is lost, that the shepherd should leave the flock, who he called the ninety-nine, to go and find the one. And that was exactly what the Pharisees were doing. The problem was not one of missionary zeal, but the destination to which the Pharisees were leading their new believers.

Nonconformist theologian Matthew Poole (1624-1679) argued that the Pharisees “business was not to turn men from sin unto God, but merely to convert them to an opinion.” And an opinion can never save us. We are never saved by our connection with denomination, or by which translation of the Bible that we prefer. Both of these things are included under the heading of an opinion. We are saved only by our relationship with God.

And maybe that is the danger of our Christian environment. We are full of opinions, but sometimes we are short on God. I am convinced that we are the modern Pharisees, converting people to our idea of Christianity, filled with its share of opinions about a range of topics, but short on leading people into the presence of God. Because we are not, and never will be, God. Hurting people don’t need me; they need Jesus. There can never be any other destination to which I should lead them.  

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Matthew 24


No comments:

Post a Comment