Friday 30 October 2020

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. – Matthew 6:13

 Today's Scripture Reading (October 30, 2020): Matthew 6

Some years ago, I was at a conference and shared a hotel room with a good friend. Following the first night's session, I remember getting back to our room and being confronted by my friend with a secret. My friend had made a promise to his wife to make some positive changes in his health practices. But on this night, and for the length of the conference, my friend was going to do something different. On that first night, he said to me, "Don't tell my wife, but I am skipping the gym this week, and I am not skipping McDonald's."

I got it. It was going to be a tough week. And temptation toward negative changes in our lives seems ever-present. For me, part of my solution to temptation is found in a regimented schedule. There are practices or actions that I try to do every day. I heard a pastor a couple of decades ago argue that we don't need to read the Bible every day. A couple of days a week is enough, and if we force our practice of Bible reading, we might come to resent the Bible. But I have found that if I do it daily, I can stay in the biblical text. If I commit to reading the Bible twice a week, tomorrow is always a good day to read the Bible, and suddenly weeks have passed between my Bible reading sessions. A daily exercise routine or the practice of daily devotions helps me fight against the temptation of leaving it until tomorrow, or next week or month. But that is me, and I recognize that not everyone is wired the way that I am.

But, whatever the method of dealing with temptation that works for you, it doesn't mean that you won't have to deal with temptation. Temptation is a universal problem that all of us have to confront. Jesus asks his disciples to pray that God would not lead them into temptation, although the word used here could also mean testing. But there is another side of the equation. I need to make sure that I am not leading myself into temptation. I need to do the things that I can do so that I can fight temptation. And if I do that, Paul argues that "no temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it" (1 Corinthians 10:13). In the end, God has promised to deliver us from our temptation and from the one who tries to tempt us.

Some later manuscripts have also added a phrase: "… for yours is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory, forever. Amen." Most biblical experts agree that this phrase, which most of learned when we were taught "The Lord's Prayer," was likely added by some unknown scribe in the years following the life of Jesus and the writing of the Gospel by Matthew. But even though it may not be part of Jesus's original prayer, the words are still important. Because all of this, the help with temptation, the deliverance from Satan, and all of the other things mentioned in "The Lord's Prayer" are only possible because the Kingdom, power, and glory all belong to God. He is on the throne, and this, we know, he can do.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Matthew 7

No comments:

Post a Comment