Monday 2 March 2020

The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. – Isaiah 35:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (March 2, 2020): Isaiah 35

I grew up in the land of broken cars. There was a parade of them that made their way through my Dad’s shop in the garage. They were crashed, smashed, sometimes abandoned, and always ugly and not much to look at, at least to my eyes. But Dad saw them differently, not as they were in their brokenness, but as they could be one day when all of the brokenness had been washed away. When the cars reached my Dad, they found a place that where could be loved and treasured once more, like they were when they were driven off of the showroom floor. In a day when cars were made mostly of metal, my Dad would straighten and twist and pound at the cars until they looked as good as new. I also early on heard about the evils of Bondo. Not that the substance never touched Dad’s cars, but that the filler was always the province of the last resort, and its use was always minimized as much as was humanly possible. In my Dad’s hands, what seemed to be irreversible brokenness found healing. And there was always the day when what was once broken, now stood on our driveway lovingly restored, looking shiny and new.

I also remember the parade of people that passed through my Dad’s shop. It took me quite a few years to realize that the work being done in the garage was not always just on the cars. Men would stop by for a coffee or a visit while Dad worked away in the garage on his vehicles. Sometimes they would grab a hammer and pound out a dent or straighten a bumper. Later in life, I have heard the stories from some of these men who went through a restorative work in my Dad’s garage, along with the cars on which they were working. It was a mystery that I never fully appreciated when I was younger.

Isaiah preaches of death and destruction that will come. But there is a principle with God that we need to understand. God’s story never ends with destruction and death. The story of God always includes a moment when what was broken Is restored. So, while the armies of the nations would experience destruction, after the destruction, the wilderness would bloom and rejoice in its moment of restoration.

The principle applies to Isaiah’s prophecy of the world, but it also applies to our own lives. If you are in a moment of destruction right now, hold onto the hope that after the destruction always comes restoration, where what was once broken is lovingly restored, better than it was in the first place. In the hands of the Master, beauty is coming, if we are willing to trust in him.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Isaiah 36

No comments:

Post a Comment