Sunday 1 December 2019

The messenger who had gone to summon Micaiah said to him, “Look, the other prophets without exception are predicting success for the king. Let your word agree with theirs, and speak favorably.” – 1 Kings 22:13


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 1, 2019): 1 Kings 22

I know that I have my critics. You have voiced your concerns to me over social media a few times over the past few years. Your words are a warning from certain people regarding some of my political and religious views. And if my critics are reading this, let me stress that I do hear you. I also feel you. I understand your angst and your frustration. But I think that you miss mine. So let me state it clearly.

I am frustrated with the conservative and religious right. The problem is that my goals, for the most part, match the political right more than they do the political left. I want what you want. But I am greatly concerned about how we are getting there. And if we have to violate our moral conscience, if we have to lie and cheat, if we have to give ourselves over to a national anger, if we have to break our responsibilities to the stranger who walks among us, or even if we just react without compassion to people who are different from us, then I am afraid for us because I do not believe that we are pleasing God. We are violating the instructions of the prophet Micah, among others. “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God” (Micah 6:8). We aren’t doing that. Instead we have begun to believe the ends justify the means, and that thought is found nowhere in the Bible. In the end, the Creator of this world will have the last say. Babylon ruled for a time, but it fell. The Bible continually warns of a new Babylon, and for the first time in my life I am beginning to believe that the New Babylon just might be us. And that idea scares me.

The King wanted to achieve a goal. There was nothing wrong with the goal. Ramoth-Gilead was an Israelite city on the East side of the Jordan River. Initially, the city had been within the territory of the tribe of Gad. But Ramoth-Gilead was not just a Gadite city. Ramoth-Gilead was a Levitical City, one of the forty-eight cities that were spread throughout Israel as the possession of the Levites, who led the nation in the worship of God. It was also a city of refuge, a place where those who had been found guilty of a severe crime could run and be safe until their trial had concluded and they had been declared as either guilty or innocent. Ramoth-Gilead was an important city.

So the goal was righteous. All of the prophets that had been consulted, four hundred of them, had declared that God would support the taking of the city. But it was not God who had spoken. It was King Ahab. The prophets had no desire to contradict the King.

And it is here that the Prophet Micaiah enters the scene. Micaiah was known for being forthright and honest, and in contact with God. Ahab wants to see him because he suspects that the four hundred are not speaking the truth. But as the messenger reaches the prophet, the messenger has a request. Please let your prophecy match that of the other prophets. They are all predicting success. Agree with them. Don’t rock the boat.

The problem was that while the goal was good, this was not a path approved of by God. And so Micaiah was left with a choice. He could either agree with the four hundred, or stand alone and speak the truth.

To my friends on the political and religious right, I beg of you to stand up and be honest. We need to find a God honoring path that will carry us toward our goals. Don’t stand among the four hundred, prophesying what the king wants to hear. Your opponents may comment on Social Media that they wanted something different. And while that might be true, you will have risen up to the expectations of your God.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Obadiah 1

No comments:

Post a Comment