Monday 21 January 2019

Then Micah said to him, “Live with me and be my father and priest, and I’ll give you ten shekels of silver a year, your clothes and your food.” – Judges 17:10


Today’s Scripture Reading (January 21, 2019): Judges 17

Mark Shuster loves it when people at dinner parties start to throw around statistics. He says it gives him a chance to throw out his favorite statistic – that 73.6% of all statistics are made up. He offers the stat in a deadpan, and very serious, manner. The conversation stops. Often someone will interject with a questioning “really?” Mark continues the conversation with a straight face saying something like “Nielsen just released the number last month.”

And the conversation pauses. No one recognizes the irony. There is no doubt that a good portion of our statistics are fictitious, although how much is probably up for debate. But Mark Shuster’s 73.6% is definitely part of the fake side of the statistics nightmare.

During my college days, I was forced to read a book called “How to Lie with Statistics.” I still have the book somewhere in my library. It is not a very big book, but it tells the story of how to take even statistics that are true and use them to give a false message. We all do it. Whether we make up the statistics or use numbers that someone else has made up, or simply mislead by the way that we use our true statistics, we all use statistics to get our point across. And usually to legitimize our position on some subject.

A couple of week’s ago a friend of mine sat down in my office with the important news that President Trump’s approval rating had hit 50%. He was a Trump supporter and was trying to legitimize his belief in the American President. I am not a Trump supporter, but my disdain for the President has nothing to do with statistics. I believe that our political leaders should be the best of who we are. I may not agree with their policies, but I want, at least, to consider them to be honorable people, upstanding and worthy of my support. I hate the phrase that I hear too often. “We didn’t elect Donald Trump to be our pastor, but our President.” The statement makes no sense to me. We pray that our leaders will be people with a good and strong character, whether they are President’s or pastors, or leaders of the local sports league. These are the best that our race has to offer, ones that are willing to speak the truth even if the truth does not advance their personal aspirations. This pursuit of the best is probably why Jimmy Carter is one of my favorite President’s; he has always seemed to be a person who wanted to do what was right no matter the consequences. For my friend, the 50% approval rating meant that he was no longer in the minority when it came to Donald Trump. If he had told me the approval rating was 90%, it would not have changed my mind about the American President. Character, for me, is more important than policy. I want a person of great character to be in a position of great leadership.

Micah hires a Levite to be his personal priest. Much is wrong with the hiring, but from Micah’s point of view, he was trying to legitimize his personal shrine. He knows that the shrine is wrong, and he hopes that the priest will make it right. But just like the statistics that we use to legitimize our believes and positions, the presence of the priest does nothing to legitimize Micah’s shrine. The shrine is wrong because God had declared that anything was wrong that stole worship away from him - God. His instructions were clear, you shall not worship idols, and the presence of a priest was not going to change that one fact. What the presence of the priest in Micah’s home does tell us is that the priest was not a person of a good and strong character. Instead, he was someone who was willing to sell out what was right for what would make him money, or his life easier. He would not speak truth to Micah as long as Micah was willing to pay for his presence. As the troubled period of Judges begins, the priest fits right in. “In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit” (Judges 17:6).

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Judges 18

No comments:

Post a Comment