Monday 9 February 2015

But godliness with contentment is great gain. – 1 Timothy 6:6


Today’s Scripture Reading (February 9, 2015): 1 Timothy 6

We are living in an absolutely amazing time. The smartphone that most of us have glued to our belts – or if you are me, buried in a pocket somewhere or ignored on the top of a desk – has more computer components and abilities than were contained within the first rockets that we shot into space. I live in a place that is filled with choice. I have an endless ability to eat and try new things (I would just rather stick with the old and known). The television set that I had growing up could barely be called a television compared to the flat screen model that graces my family room. We have more ability to find out information than we ever have. Our ability is so great that I admit sometimes I get lost in my choices.

We live in amazing times, but we aren’t happy. I am not sure that I understand why. A recent study revealed that the more we chase after happiness, the more we read articles about happiness, the less happy we actually become. It is a paradox. Apparently happiness is not something that can be pursued. Happiness sneaks up on us when we least expect it. Happiness is a lot like success and finances, we only seem to be able to achieve it when we are chasing after something else. And so we chase after more – and never really get to where we want to be.

It is because of this tendency that one of the spiritual disciplines that we sometimes need to adopt into our lives is simply stability. Stability recognizes that sometimes our tendency to chase after more is really just our running away from some of the problems that exist within our lives. And when we run away from our problems, our problems also tend to follow us. Unless we are willing to confront what seems to be wrong in our lives, we can never be content.  

As Christians, we seem to have a lot of excuses for why our chasing after things is not a problem. But whenever we think that buying more will fix the problems in our lives, we are admitting our need for stability – and our lack of godly contentment. Whenever we are inordinately grieved by something that we have lost, we are admitting our need for stability – and our lack of godly contentment. And whenever we feel an addictive rush of extreme pleasure because of something that we have purchased, we are admitting our need for stability – and our lack of godly contentment.

Paul expressed his understanding of his need for stability this way in his letter to the Philippian Church.

I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength (Philippians 4:10-13).

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Titus 1

No comments:

Post a Comment