Sunday 30 September 2012

“I am now a hundred and twenty years old and I am no longer able to lead you. The LORD has said to me, ‘You shall not cross the Jordan.’ – Deuteronomy 31:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (September 30, 2012): Deuteronomy 31

I get tired. I know that I am not supposed to, but I do. And when I get tired, sometimes all I want to do is give up. When I am tired my dreams change. All I want to do is to move to a quiet place, maybe an acreage, and just hibernate. I have friends who tell me that what they would hate about living on an acreage somewhere away from the city is that when winter comes – and winter is always coming – there is always the chance that you could get snowed in. But for me, I do not have enough snow days. I have too many books just begging me to read them to be afraid of being snowed in. And sometimes that is exactly what I want to happen. And my desire to do something like that increases with my weariness.

The question is one that we all wrestle with. How much is enough? When is it that I get to say that I am done – I have served my time and God does not need me anymore? It is time for someone else to take over, while I retire to my little paradise and live out the rest of my life doing what it is that I want to do.

The problem is that no matter how tired I am, I know that we are not made for that kind of life of leisure. We dream about it and we want it, but people without a purpose tend to have much shorter lives than those who have a reason to get up in the morning and purpose that needs to be accomplished. It seems that to give into that weariness is the first step toward the grave. We are setting records for how long we are living as a society, but I wonder how long we could live if we could just maintain that sense of purpose.

Moses was one hundred and twenty years old when his end finally came. And as you read this story you almost get the sense that Moses still was not through. God decided that this was where his road would end, but Moses would have loved it to go on just a little longer. He still had a reason to get up in the morning.

My prayer for you is that, even in the weariness, you will find a purpose that drives you out of bed in the morning; that you will know what God needs you to do today. As you continue in your purpose, everyday making a difference where it is that you are, that you will continue until God comes to you and says it is time to come home.

Do not quit, there is still much to be done. And that much includes things that only you can do.
   
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 32

No comments:

Post a Comment