Saturday 22 September 2018

You are to lay your hand on the head of your offering and slaughter it at the entrance to the tent of meeting. Then Aaron’s sons the priests shall splash the blood against the sides of the altar. – Leviticus 3:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (September 22, 2018): Leviticus 3

I began to watch “Jurassic World I” with my grandsons a few weeks ago. We didn’t get too far into the movie before we switched over to Marvel movie featuring some of their favorite superheroes – roll Spiderman, Iron Man, and Captain America. But later I decided to re-watch “Jurassic World.” I have always enjoyed the Jurassic movies, even the worst of them, and I hadn’t watched “Jurassic World I” in a couple of years. So I sat down to watch the movie.

There is a scene in the movie where Owen, played by Chris Pratt, places his hands on the side of one of the Raptors, with which he had already been working, in an attempt to calm the dinosaur. And because of the previous relationship between the trainer and the Raptor, the act seems to work, and the animal is calmed.

So as I read these words in Leviticus, my mind slipped back to the scene in “Jurassic World” and the calming of the Raptors. And as I imagined this ancient practice, I wonder if this isn’t part of the reasoning behind the procedure. Most of us don’t offer sacrifices anymore. In fact, most of us have no connection with the animals that make up the food that we eat. But, repeatedly, the Bible seems to provide us with a picture of a relationship between the one offering the sacrifice and the animal that was being sacrificed. It is not just that the sacrifice is something with which you have an economic stake, but we are to have a relational stake in the sacrifice as well. This animal is one that you remember attending the birth and helped to nurse through the early days of its life. It is an animal that you invested time and emotional energy into through the past months. And now, as the animal’s life is brought to an end as a “stand in” for your sin or your broken relationships, you are still there, calming the animal that knows you as you place your hands on the creature’s head, and the priests prepare to take its life.

We get that our sacrifices cost, but sometimes we miss the emotional connection. I used to be part of a church that twice a year took up an “Alabaster Offering” which went to the construction of churches, schools, and hospitals in areas of the world where these buildings are in need. The offering came to be “collecting change that you acquire in a box for missions.” But that was never the intention of the offering. Building on Mary’s sacrifice of her expensive bottle of Alabaster perfume by pouring it out on the feet of Jesus, the offering was intended to be a sacrifice of something that we wanted and giving the equivalent currency to charity. I really want the latest gaming console, but I am not going to buy it. Instead, I will give the money for the building of a school in a poor area of the world that can’t afford to build it on their own. I will make do with the old gaming console that I already own. It is an emotional sacrifice of something I want so that I can give to where the money is needed.

And that just might what is missing in our giving to charity. Often we give what we really don’t need, rather than sacrificing something that we want, or something that we have a relationship with, to atone for our sins – and for our broken relationships with the world that surrounds us.        

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Leviticus 4


No comments:

Post a Comment