Friday 7 September 2018

Make sacred garments for your brother Aaron to give him dignity and honor. – Exodus 28:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (September 7, 2018): Exodus 28

The phrase “Man of the Cloth” was originally applied to anyone who wore any kind of a uniform in the performance of their duty. A baker, with the traditional white shirt and pants, wore the “baker’s cloth.” In any profession where a distinct uniform was worn, the wearers were men of the cloth. (And, yes, it is an ancient tradition, so it was a male-dominated term.) But by the seventeenth century, for a reason that remains unclear to me, the term narrowed significantly to include only members of the clergy – the priest and pastors of our world.

In our century, we continue to be men, and women, of the cloth, although admittedly many of us no longer wear any kind of specific uniform. I do not wear either a clerical collar or any kind of a robe in the performance of my duties, although I do have friends that do wear one or the other. However, fashion has also never been one of my strengths. I like what makes me feel comfortable, and left to my own devices, seldom even consider which colors might look good on me, or what colors go together. On a list of fashion hits and misses, I would most likely be on the side of the misses. By the way, I also don’t pay attention to what you might be wearing. If you always wear jeans and then appear in a suit or a nice dress, I might notice, but beyond that my noticing, or caring, about what you are wearing is not very likely.

I am also aware that sometimes what we wear can create distance. And in the performance of my task, distance is something that I usually want to avoid. But then I also know that times have changed.

God instructs Moses to have a garment made for Aaron that would set him apart from the people, something that would command respect and give him dignity. It was likely an elaborate robe that could be worn by anyone, regardless of size or body style. Some have even argued that this robe was passed down through the generations and was worn by many different priests.

In a list of prescriptive passages (commands of God that we are to follow) and descriptive passages (descriptions of what happened), I would list this passage as being descriptive. The problem is that the manner of dress at one point did give dignity. But abuse of the clerical position has caused many to look upon the dress of the priest or the pastor with suspicion. We no longer see the dignity, but rather the failure of the institution, in the cloth of the profession.

And so we dress and hopefully act, differently. We know that we need to earn the dignity that at one point was granted because of our position. We are still men and women of the cloth, but the dignity of the cloth is ragged and torn. And it is up to us who are clergy to begin the mending and healing process. I hope that one day we will earn your respect once again. But for now, I hope that you can see through “the cloth” to the men and women who try to serve God to the best of their ability. And that it is our efforts in the service of God that allow us the dignity to stand before you.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Exodus 29

No comments:

Post a Comment