Sunday 11 March 2018

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. – Colossians 3:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (March 11, 2018): Colossians 3

I have a dream. My dream is not far removed from Dr. Martin Luther King’s dream spoken so eloquently over fifty years ago. I have a dream of a world where color and gender are simply unimportant. I dream of a world that may not be rich, but where we have learned to be fiscally responsible, and therefore we have the money to spend on the important things like education and healthcare. I look at the things that divide us and wish that they could be removed. I dream of a day when people of different faiths can sit and just have a conversation with each other about important things. I am not saying that we need to find some kind of universal religion that fits us all, but rather we need to recognize that we are all people seeking God.

I am sick and tired of bullies who try to push their weight around to get their way. I am tired of narrow-minded people who carry a message of hate into everything that they do. I have a dream of a world where we stand up together and say no more to these things. I have a dream.

But then reality knocks on my door. Race matters because we give it the power to matter. Fear is very real. And when we are scared, we don’t make the best decisions. Guns matter because they become the instruments of fear, either to instill it or to try to escape from it. This is the real reason why we have such a strong relationship with our guns. They have become our path to security and power. I have a dream, but as I look out the window at my world, the possibility of my dream ever being fulfilled fades in the light of my reality. Almost fifty-five years ago, Dr. King spoke the words -

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I am not sure that his words are any truer today than they were when he first spoke them. We still judge each other according to color. We still have not learned to embrace each other in spite of our differences. It is not a “Black” problem or a “White” problem. It is our problem.

Paul instructs us to set our mind on things above, and not on earthly things. Too often our response to the challenge is to say that heavenly things are good and earthly things are evil, but that isn’t quite true. Some earthly things are evil. When a nineteen-year-old walks into a school with a gun and starts shooting, that is evil. When a fifty-something-year-old man holes up in a hotel room and starts to shoot at an outdoor concert taking place across the street, that is evil. Whenever we judge the value of each other based on color or religion, that is evil. But not everything on earth is evil. But everything on earth is tainted with a sense of powerlessness. How often do we look at the world and say “this is just simply the way it is – it cannot be changed.”

“Things above” set out the ideals that we should be stretching for, whether we think they are possible or not. “Things above” should always press us toward love and equality, knowing that we are the children of God. “Things above” remind us that, with God, nothing is impossible, and that even our impossible dreams for this world can come true.

Dr. King understood. He warned not only of the need of equality for the black people but also for the white and every color in between. He reminded us that –

We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.

We cannot turn back.

We must continue to move forward, with our minds set on things above.             

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Colossians 4

Personal Note: Happy Birthday, Dad, I hope you are having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment