Friday 23 March 2018

In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us. - Titus 2:7-8


Today’s Scripture Reading (March 23, 2018): Titus 2 & 3

Travel writer Rick Steeves says that “Self-consciousness kills communication.” I am not sure that he is right. Self-consciousness, or maybe better put, thinking before we speak or measuring our words, often kills misunderstanding, confusion, conflict, and other forms of miscommunication. I think, to Steeves point, it also kills some of the fun of communication (I mean, how would we deride our political leaders if they never misspoke), but the reality is that it is hastily spoken words that threaten to bring down our reputations. And for leaders of any kind, the danger is magnified.

The problem with the words we speak is that they can never be completely erased. In our digital age, I am always warning people about what they write on their social media accounts. There is no such thing as a “private message” because anything that is written can be shared. And while this danger is most obvious with the things that we write down, the danger is also present with the words that we speak. In politics, we often see political communication officers trying to walk something back that has been said, or written. But those hastily spoken words are impossible to walk back completely. We always leave the impression that what we said was what we believe, and that the walked back version of our words are only present because of expediency. And again, we return to Steeves’s accusation that “self-consciousness kills communication.” If what we speak first is always the truth, then maybe he his right. But often those words that we have to walk back are not what we truly believe, although, in the end, we have to work to defend them.

Paul, speaking to a young pastor, instructs him to possess integrity in his teachings and to exhibit a soundness of speech that cannot be condemned. As I write, I have to admit that I liberally use my backspace button on my keyboard, constantly questioning what it is that I really want to say. Sometimes I know I hit some hot topics. And if what I am writing is truly what I believe, then I am okay with that. If I am condemned, I want it to be for a hill on which I am willing to die – a message that carries that level of importance. For instance, I hope that frequent readers of this blog clearly understand that I believe in the primacy of love. If you want to criticize me because you believe that hate is appropriate in some circumstances, I am okay with having that discussion. But the primacy of love is a hill on which I am willing to die, and it is an issue for which I believe I have strong biblical support. I would not want any hastily chosen words to destroy that message. I believe in love.

As a people, I am convinced that we are called to be a people who chooses their words carefully. We are to be a people who infrequently have to walk our words back because we are careful with what we say. We understand the weight of our words, and so we decide to use them carefully. We speak with an important message on our lips, and we know that every word counts.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 1

No comments:

Post a Comment