Sunday 4 February 2018

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. – Romans 12:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (February 4, 2018): Romans 12

You are an original. So am I. You were born with a uniqueness that goes beyond your fingerprints. From the very moment you were born, your DNA started to create a you that was unlike any other person ever born. Then you began to experience unique events in your life and once again, what you experienced created and even more unique you, a specialness that now extended well beyond your genetic make-up.

At some point, you began to notice negative things about yourself; you began to experience those flaws and weak spots that often bother us. We all have them although, admittedly, some of us are better at hiding them. Some of our weak spots created points of ill health. And so we needed to protect and strengthen those areas. But, even then, our efforts were only reinforcing the uniqueness of who we are.

And then, at some point very early in our lives, the world started to push back. We felt that we had to conform to everyone else. We had to believe like everyone else. And part of the problem was that this forcing of us into some random mold happened everywhere. Society began to make demands on us. Living in community with each other requires that we make some concessions, but often the shape that the world desired from us went way beyond what was necessary. We would be ridiculed and ostracized if we didn’t do things exactly as everyone else did. And the uniqueness of who we were began to disappear. I remember the moment that I realized this pattern in my life. I was sitting in math class in grade eleven. My seat happened to be a window seat overlooking the school’s athletic field, and as my teacher droned on, I happened to look out my window at a gym class taking advantage of the beautiful, sunny day. The gym teacher was having the students run laps. Personally, I hated gym classes where the teacher decided to make me run without the benefit of chasing after a ball or something; running in circles, to the original person inside of me, was boring. Apparently, one student (male) in the gym class had decided the same thing. So while the rest of his class orderly ran around the track in a clockwise direction, my kindred spirit was skipping around the track in the opposite direction. If it was a race, that might have been something that could not have been tolerated. But for a gym class out to get some exercise, it wasn’t important. And apparently, the class on the field agreed. I didn’t see anyone try to force this guy to turn around and run right.

God has created each of us to be an original. Maybe an even better description is that we are created to be individual puzzle pieces to some gigantic puzzle. But the only way we can fulfill the will of God is if we are the puzzle piece he intends us to be, and not trying to disguise ourselves as a different puzzle piece that the world might want us to be. In fact, the only way that we can test God’s will in our lives is if we are the original he intended us to be. God’s purpose, no matter what the church might say, is to release us from the mold of this world allowing us to be the original he created.

I get that often we don’t understand that we are original. I know that I don’t see it in me. But others seem to see it. They keep on telling me that there is something different about who I am. But that just means that, hopefully, I am becoming more comfortable with the original that God created me to be. And, therefore, I get to be the right puzzle piece for me and not the one that the world tries to pressure me to be. And if that is true, then I am okay with that, even if it means that sometimes you will find me skipping around a field in the opposite direction.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Romans 13

No comments:

Post a Comment