Tuesday 6 February 2018

Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. – Romans 14:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (February 6, 2018): Romans 14

Some years ago I read a book by Denis Lamoureux entitled “I Love Jesus & I Accept Evolution.” Lamoureux holds doctoral degrees in dentistry, theology, and biology and at one point in his life wrote and lectured as a young earth creationist, a belief that holds that the earth is just over 6,000 years old. Lamoureux jokes that in the early days he would be hailed as Dr. Lamoureux at various events. At the time the only degree he held was in Dentistry. He then asks, “Do you know how many courses a Dentist has to take on evolutionary biology? None.” So when he wrote and spoke about the creation-evolution controversy, he was arguing totally outside of his field. The Dr. that promoters loved to place in front of his name was misleading because he had no expertise in the subject matter.

But he did gain the expertise, and he also changed his mind. Lamoureux ended up leaving the world of the young-earth creationist’s and becoming what he calls an evolutionary creationist. Although this might not be popular to admit, I could also be described as an evolutionary creationist, and I have been one since long before I read or listened to the teachings of Denis Lamoureux. For me, the teaching makes sense. Evolutionary Creationism is not contrary to the creation reading that we have in Genesis 1, although Genesis 2 has to be interpreted a little more poetically. At the same time, it solves some of the problems that I have with evolutionary science; specifically, how random changes in the genetic code of the earliest life on the planet became more and more ordered and complex. As our children’s bedrooms prove, the natural progression is to go from order to chaos. To argue that complex beings evolved out of single-celled organisms through random genetic changes stretches the imagination unless there was some force that guided those changes. Enter God or a godlike being. One way that I describe evolutionary creationism is that evolution becomes the tool that God uses to create life on the planet. Just as a scalpel is useless outside of the hands of a skilled surgeon (I know because I have one collecting dust in a closet that has never done anyone any good), so evolution is useless outside of the guiding force of a Creator God. To me, it makes sense.

It is also useless information. In the large view, how God created the world is disputable. We really don’t know. For me, this idea of God using evolution as a tool is elegant, and it answers all of the questions that I might have regarding the creation of man. A good friend of mine imagines creation quite differently. For him, God formed Adam out of the dust or the mud of the earth. And then he stepped down out of heaven and thumped his chest, performing the first CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) to get Adam’s chest beating. Which one of us is right? Maybe the better question is, does it really matter? I love the imagery, and the poetry, of my friend’s description of creation. To me, my description better fits the available facts. In the end, we both might be wrong, but in the end, both of us are also still Christians.

But what bothers me are the people in my life that have accepted evolution, and by their assessment of the truth of evolution have rejected Christianity. This is what angers me about the continuing Evolution-Creation debate. And I want to call Paul as my first witness. If it is disputable, and if it has no bearing on salvation (I know that I am saved by faith in Jesus, because of Jesus death and resurrection, the penalty that should be mine has been removed, and I can stand in front of God as a new creation) then don’t worry about disputable arguments. You who have accepted Jesus as your Savior should accept the one who is starting the faith journey without raising issues that may not have an answer and also has no bearing on their salvation. If the quarrel over these matters is going to become a barrier to faith, then it is time just to let them go.    

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Romans 15

No comments:

Post a Comment