Wednesday 22 February 2017

“If you, Israel, will return, then return to me,” declares the LORD. “If you put your detestable idols out of my sight and no longer go astray. - Jeremiah 4:1



Today’s Scripture Reading (February 22, 2017): Jeremiah 4

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” The words belong to Lao Tzu, whose name literally means “old man.” It is thought that Confucius may have been a student of Lao Tzu, although the wisdom of the two men moves in different directions. Confucius concentrated his advice on right relations in human society, while Lao Tzu took a more mystical approach to life. But no matter which philosophy you may feel drawn to, it is hard to argue with the “Old Man’s” words about the beginning of every journey, it starts with a step.
I remember complaining to a friend when I was younger about something that I had to do. I can’t remember what it was, but I just remember saying that I had to do it – but I had also left it so long that the task looked impossible. My friend listened to me patiently – and then finally weighed in with his solution. Start to do something about it. I could almost hear the philosophy of Lao Tzu spoken through the mouth of my friend. The task starts with taking a step.
It wasn’t the most original solution – but probably the wisest. The solution to my insurmountable problem was to be found in just simply starting to do something. I was looking at the problem in its totality and I was overwhelmed. But I didn’t have the option of not doing it – so at some point I just needed to get started.
The message of the prophets can often be overwhelming reading. The problems of the nation are so big and the stakes are so high that we want to skip over the words. So a refrain begins to rise from the poets and prophets – how long, O God, will your anger burn against us?  When will we rise again from the ashes of the past? When will all of this be finally over? But Jeremiah turns the question back on the people. If you will return to God – then return. The task may seem overwhelming – it might have been a long time since you considered him – but the start of the solution still begins with turning around and taking those initial first steps in the direction of God.
We serve a God who consistently tells us that if we return to him, he will return to us. If we begin the journey, he will complete it. But we have to start. In every area of our life, wisdom says the same thing – the longest journey begins with a step.
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 5

1 comment:

  1. The journey does sometimes seem impossible but I am still walking towards Jesus

    ReplyDelete