Monday 6 February 2017

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” – Psalm 46:10



Today’s Scripture Reading (February 6, 2017): Psalm 46 & 47

Richard Cameron was a leader of a group of militant Presbyterian believers during the latter part of the 17th Century. Cameron and his group took up arms in an attempt to stop the Stuart monarchy control of the Church of Scotland. Cameron’s ideas have led historians to believe that he was a man slightly ahead of his time. Cameron believed in religious liberty in a day when religion was controlled by the ruling government. But he also believed that no one could give allegiance and submission to an earthly king. These were things that belonged only to God.
Richard Cameron was killed by government forces at Airds Moss in Scotland on July 22, 1680. With him were about sixty members of his community who either died with him or were taken prisoner. Some were executed days later. Cameron had his head severed from his body and placed on a pole, and the paraded around the countryside as a warning to any other people who might believe in Cameron’s idea of religious liberty.

But three days before his death, Cameron had preached a sermon on Psalm 46:10.

Be still, and know that I am God. This text of Scripture forbids quarreling and murmuring against God God gives not an account of his matters to anyone; because there may be many things you cannot see through; and therefore you may think it better to have wanted them, and much more, for the credit of God and the church. I say, God gives not an account of his matters to anyone. Beware, then, of drawing rash conclusions.

For his followers following the death of Richard Cameron, the point of the message was probably very clear. God did not have to tell them why Cameron had to die. And they were not about to draw rash conclusions. But their duty was to continue to submit their lives to God, and to God alone.

We often face the same dilemma. As I look out on my world, sometimes I wonder how God could let things go so wrong. But God does not owe me an explanation. I do owe him my obedience, even when I don’t understand the reasons why. So I need to hear the words repeatedly of Psalm 46 – Be still and know that I am God.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 48

No comments:

Post a Comment