Sunday 19 February 2017

Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you. Do not be terrified by them, or I will terrify you before them. - Jeremiah 1:17



Today’s Scripture Reading (February 19, 2017): Jeremiah 1

I don’t know what this says about my faith – but I get nervous every time someone tells me that they have a word from God. It’s not that I don’t believe that God still speaks to us, just that usually the word that people proclaim is from him is so bizarre. It is the same with singers that sing the song that God gave them. Personally, I am not really sure that I want to blame God for any of the music that I have written.
I get nervous – and yet I also know that we need to stand up and speak God’s message. We need to speak of God’s love and his desire for us. We need to bear the message of forgiveness to a world that seems overcome with guilt. We need to stand up and speak.
I have been vocal in my support of Muslims in the past few weeks. I am against a travel ban, I believe that it actually makes things worse. In North America, I believe the threat doesn’t come from outside; it comes from the radicalization of people either native to or already inside our North American countries. It is not that I am a Muslim, I am not. But I do believe that God is still on the throne and he can protect, and I believe that the message that the Christian Church has been charged by God to speak, is one of unrelenting love for the other. When we give a cup of cold water to the least of these (I struggle to find anyone who could be more “least” than a Syrian refugee, no matter their religious stripe) we are giving that water straight to Jesus. Yes, it is okay to disagree with me. I will still love you for the same reason – it is the message God has placed inside of me.
We need to speak with a deep love for the world and our culture. Not a love that is manufactured – but a genuine love that wells up from a deep place within us. That is the witness that we have been given. As we gather for worship – that is the message of our hearts. God, help us to find a way to speak of your love – help us to experience your love. May we be the instrument of your forgiveness in the world – as you continue to forgive us.
Are you ready to stand and speak?
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 2

No comments:

Post a Comment