Sunday 14 August 2016

Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. – Psalm 127:3



Today’s Scripture Reading (August 14, 2016): Psalm 127 & 128

Aura Baker at 100 -



with some of her great and great-great grandchildren



Just over a year ago, the family gathered in a small Alberta, Canada town to celebrate the 100th birthday of Aura Baker – my grandmother. It was a time of celebration, of hugs and tears, and of recognizing the cast of characters, and for some of us I do mean characters, that owe their existence to this woman and her husband, Murray. (My grandfather died in 2002, but scarcely a day goes by without me thinking of him. I have an excellent reminder of him in my youngest grandson, Henry. At the age of two he is already starting to embody the physical strength of my grandfather, lifting two milk jugs with his bare hands.)

Two year-old Henry with his milk

jugs  remind me daily of my grandfather

The psalmist says that our children are a heritage from God. Sometimes, I have to admit, I have wondered if they might be a penalty or a punishment, but those moments are fleeting. They are our reward. And I have no real desire to wander very far from them. I realize that one day, they may move away from me. That is the way of the world. But I have no desire to be the one to take that initiative. I love the city in which I live, but part of what makes this city special is that it is the home of my children and grandchildren. My desire for the future lies within them. I want to watch my children raise their children. I hope to one day know as friends the grandchildren that I wrestle with today. Every night before I go to bed, I pause in front of their pictures and whisper the “I love you’s” of my heart.  


I am rich. Not because I have money, but because I have received this heritage from God. And I would not trade that heritage for any amount of money. I am rich because God has allowed me to know my family in both directions. I have precious memories of one of my great-grandmothers, all of my grandparents, and my parents. God has given me two children and at current count three grandchildren. The heritage of God just continues to grow – and I am so thankful for it.
  
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Proverbs 1

No comments:

Post a Comment