Friday 15 July 2016

Once again there was a battle between the Philistines and Israel. David went down with his men to fight against the Philistines, and he became exhausted. – 2 Samuel 21:15



Today’s Scripture Reading (July 15, 2016): 2 Samuel 21

I love Jon Bon Jovi’s song “Just Older.” It perfectly describes the way that I feel on most days. In the chorus, Jon sings these words –

I like the bed I'm sleeping in
It's just like me, it's broken in
It's not old - just older
Like a favorite pair of torn blue jeans
This skin I'm in it's alright with me
It's not old - just older (Jon Bon Jovi).

At some point, if we are lucky, we will all be able to sing that chorus with Jon. I am not old, but I definitely am older. The secret of being “just older” is in being comfortable with our passage through life. At some point, we have to leave the dreams of our youth behind. I can’t watch an American Football game and dream that one day I might be able to take my place on the defensive line the way I dreamt about that possibility when I was younger. Those days have passed me by. I still love to watch football, but now it is more as a spectator. I will never play competitive football again. I am not old, but I am older.

I was never fast, but now I am a step slower. I work out every day, but I am weaker. It is what comes with getting, well, older. But I am okay with all of that. And I have new things to enjoy that I didn’t have when I was younger, like grandchildren. I love every minute that I can spend with them – and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. Just one of the perks of being “just older.”

A few days ago, I commented that David was more of a Captain Kirk than a Jean-Luc Picard. But it has become evident to everyone that David’s “Captain Kirk” days are over. He, like some of the rest of us, is a step slower and a bit weaker. The one who once the crowds sang about killing his “tens of thousands” in battle is no longer that man. He fights, but he tires easily. Instead of being an asset in battle, he is a liability. He is not old, but he is older.

But that does not mean that he has lost his value. David, like the rest of us, will continue to fight the battles. It just won’t be on the battlefield. He will have to find different ways to help his soldiers, rather than being the one who stands beside them and fights with them. It is a natural part of life. At some point, if we are lucky like David and Jon Bon Jovi, we get to experience being “just older.” It isn’t worse but different. And, for those who come to understand the process, being “just older” is one of the perks of life.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 2 Samuel 22

No comments:

Post a Comment