Thursday 28 July 2016

Now, LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. – 1 Kings 3:7



Today’s Scripture Reading (July 28, 2016): 1 Kings 3

I don’t know. I am convinced that there are not more powerful words that we can speak on this planet. Not “I don’t know” spoken with indifference and an uncaring attitude. But, rather, an “I don’t know” that communicates the message that I am willing to find out. I think “I don’t know” sets the background for learning. We don’t have to learn something that we already know – because we know it already. Every area where we think we know is set and can’t be changed. For instance, I am convinced that guns kill people. I think watching what has happened in the world over the past few weeks confirms the idea that guns kill people. A vast majority of those who have committed gun violence in the United States over the past few years have obtained their guns legally. I am convinced that that means that if there was not as easy access to guns, then, at least some of the people who have died because of a gun would still be alive. In my mind, even if it was just one or two survivors, that proves that guns kill people. If restricting guns would save even one life, and I am convinced that it would save a lot more than one, then why would we not want to restrict guns? Of this I am convinced. I have a close friend who stands on the other side of the argument. What he knows is that guns don’t kill people, people kill people. He thinks that we would have less gun violence if more people carried guns. I think he is absolutely crazy, and he thinks I am. We are friends, but as long as we know, as long as we are convinced that our positions are correct, then neither one of us is willing to learn. But if we would change our stance to I don’t know, but I think … only then is learning possible.

I don’t know invites conversation and debate. I think this is the Christian Churches mistake with the LGBTQ community. The church knows that homosexuality is wrong, and so we don’t talk about it. I believe that we need to talk. We need to loosen up on our beliefs and open up the conversation. It may not change what either side believes, but we will have greater understanding of each other and, just maybe, greater love for each other.

I don’t know is a more realistic response to our world. Our world is complex. There is much that we realistically don’t know. I am comfortable standing with Job and saying, this is what I know. “I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth. 26 And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me” (Job 19:25-27)! This I know, all else is admittedly a bit of a mystery.

Solomon starts off his reign with these words. I am but a child. I don’t know. It meant that Solomon was willing to learn, that he was willing to be in conversation, and he was willing to recognize the complexities of the world in which he lived. And for Solomon, “I don’t know” was the beginning of wisdom.

“I don’t know” is the beginning of wisdom for us too. Go, and be wise!

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 45

No comments:

Post a Comment