Thursday 2 December 2021

But at the age of fifty, they must retire from their regular service and work no longer. – Numbers 8:25

Today’s Scripture Reading (December 2, 2021): Numbers 8

In his farewell address, George Washington said that “every day the increasing weight of years admonishes me more and more, that the shade of retirement is as necessary to me as it will be welcome.” When we were younger, we thought it might be possible to work up until your last day on this planet. But the older you get, the more you realize the impossibility of that task. The age when we decide to retire might be different for each of us, as are the jobs we will engage with during our retirement. But the reality of retirement and the need for retirement will approach each one of us, just as it did for George Washington.

However, we need to redefine retirement. It is not the end of work; it is just a change in what we do. Retirement is the moment when we get to hand off the responsibility for leadership with the next generation and move into a position where we can actively support them. I have to admit that, when I was younger, I too often felt that the retiring generation wanted nothing more than to tear me down. But that isn’t the way it should be. And when I reach that time in my life, I pray that I will be an encouragement for those who are still actively leading.

I have to admit that one of my favorite retirees is another former President of the United States. It could be argued that President Jimmy Carter made more of a difference in this world as a former President than he did in either during his Presidential years or in the years leading up to his election as President. And he is a great model for those of us who are reaching for our retirement years. And standing in the shadow of that day, the weight increases, and the idea of retirement becomes more necessary and welcome.

According to God’s words to Moses, that time arrived at the age of fifty for the Levites. At that time, the Levite was to move from an active leadership role to one based more on supporting those involved in the ministry. It was an arbitrary age. But it reminded the whole society that there would be a time when we would lead and take an active role in society, and a time when we would support the next generation as they continue to do the task that had once had been placed on our shoulders.

I hope that I, as well as you, will be able to make that transition gracefully, understanding that retirement is part of God’s plan. And that even though we have left the active role in our ministries, that God still desires us to be supportive, doing what we can until we reach that final day of our lives.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Numbers 9

 


No comments:

Post a Comment