Monday 9 November 2020

That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. – Luke 7:7

 Today's Scripture Reading (November 9, 2020): Luke 7

One of my favorite scenes from the 1992 Comedy Film, "Wayne's World," is the moment when Wayne Campbell (Mike Myers) and Garth Algar (Dana Carvey) get to meet the rock musician Alice Cooper. I am a little jealous; I would love to meet Alice. After a short conversation about Milwaukee's history and the etymology behind the Wisconsin city's name, Alice invites Wayne and Garth to "hang" with him and the Band a bit. The moment is too much for Wayne and Garth, who immediately fall to their knees, calling out, "We're not worthy, we're not worthy," before Alice extends his hand so that they can kiss his ring, like some dark American Pope. The scene is very tongue-in-cheek, but it works. Wayne and Garth are inconsequential fans, and Alice is, well, Alice Cooper.

Wayne and Garth have met their god, and, therefore, their reaction is entirely appropriate. We might question whether Alice is a proper god, deserving of their worship; in fact, Alice himself might question the choice if this happened in the real world. But there have been many leaders, kings, and queens who have demanded that they be identified as gods. Flesh and blood people who have believed that they were better than everyone else in their midst. And some of these weak gods still walk among us; they still treat the rest of us as if we were not worthy of their presence.

But what would happen if we really met the God of the Universe? The uncomfortable truth is that few of us are brave enough to look past the flesh and blood people who sit in our churches' pews to find God. For them, it is the people sitting in the church who are gods, even though they are not and have never claimed to be. We are a poor substitute for a loving God, and our invitation to anyone with courage enough to search for God is to look past us to the God who leads us.

A centurion, a Roman military leader, has a servant that is highly valued. This servant has become more of a friend than just one who meets his daily needs. And at this moment, the servant is sick, and the master is worried. He is willing to do anything to get his servant back. And so, he comes to Jesus. And his response is a serious version of Wayne and Garth's comedic reaction to Alice Cooper. The message of the centurion is essentially, "Jesus, I am not worthy of coming to you. I won't say that I understand you, but I believe that your connection with God is deeper than mine. Even in the depth of my ignorance, I know that if you speak the word, my servant will be healed. The only question is, will you will speak?"

Very little has changed. I do not understand all of the mysteries of God. Every description that I have ever heard that tries to explain Trinity falls short. But, Jesus, I believe that you are God and that if you speak, my world, and our world, will change. And right now, we need that change that only you can bring to us.   

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Matthew 13

No comments:

Post a Comment