Sunday 15 September 2019

When all the Israelites saw the fire coming down and the glory of the LORD above the temple, they knelt on the pavement with their faces to the ground, and they worshiped and gave thanks to the LORD, saying, “He is good; his love endures forever.” – 2 Chronicles 7:3


Today’s Scripture Reading (September 15, 2019): 2 Chronicles 7

I am a relatively large man. That one fact, I am told, can be intimidating. My uncle is very tall, and I can remember as a child wanting to be just like him. I never did reach his lofty heights, but I made up for it in bulk. Standing six feet, two inches tall, and weighing just over 200 pounds in college, my size was an asset on the football field and walking down a dark alley.

But, when it came to children, I can seem daunting. I learned early on that when I wanted to interact with small children; I really needed to get down on the floor with them. Bending over was not good enough; I needed to sit, crawl, and lie down to get them stop being scared of the big man in the room. My nieces took years to get comfortable with me. (At least, now in their mid-twenties, I hope that they are comfortable with me.) But one story that I remember from their early childhood was one of them wanting to get from one place in the house to another, and the only way to get to her destination was to walk by me. And so she mustered up every ounce of courage that she could find, and with her teddy bear in hand for support, she walked by the place where I was sitting. And under her breath she was whispering a mantra she had learned from her mother, who is my sister; “He’s just a big teddy bear. He’s just a big teddy bear.”

As the glory filled the Temple, and fire was falling from the sky, it is easy to imagine that it was terror that was filling the hearts of the inhabitants of Jerusalem. There must have been a moment when they wondered if this God that they had come to serve might accidentally destroy them. I am sure that I would have watched the fire fall and been totally unsure of what the proper thing to do might be?

According to the Chronicler, the people fell to the ground, calling out the words “He is good. His love endures forever.” It is a reasonably common reminder that we find in the Psalms and a refrain that has been added to several texts. In Psalm 136 alone, the phrase “His love endures forever” is used twenty-six times. But here, the phrase seems a little less poetic. And I wonder if the phrase was more of a mantra, like the one whispered by my young niece as she made her way past me. In spite of all that I am seeing and the terror that threatens to engulf my very soul, I need to remember that “He is good. His love endures forever.”

And in all of the moments of life, it is a mantra that is useful on our lips as well.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 135

No comments:

Post a Comment