Wednesday 3 July 2019

You have made us an object of derision to our neighbors, and our enemies mock us. – Psalm 80:6


Today’s Scripture Reading (July 3, 2019): Psalm 80

I have to admit that nothing motivates me more than someone telling me that I can’t do something. In those moments when I am ready to throw in the towel and go and do something else, I remember the prediction about my inability to do the task and imagine the ridicule of those who spoke the prophecy over me, and I get back to work. I have to admit that I owe a lot of my accomplishments, from degrees to my job and other things that I have accomplished to people who have assured me I couldn’t meet my goal. I am not sure what that says about me other than I am afraid of being mocked.

The Psalmist is in an uncomfortable place. He can feel the scorn of those around him, and he doesn’t like the feeling. And so he offers this prayer to God. After all, it is God who has allowed the mockery to happen because he has withdrawn his favor from Israel as a direct result of the sin of the nation. Now, in the act of the repentance, the Psalmist comes back to God, standing in the gap between God and his people and asks for forgiveness and begs God to allow the nation to prosper once more; removing the guilt and the shame from Israel.

It was a typical cycle in the history of the descendants of Jacob. And it is a familiar story in our lives as well. We seem to be a people who stand continually in the need of mercy and forgiveness. But the other side of our reality is that our enemies will always be willing to mock us, never forgiving us for failures. But God stands waiting and willing to run to us with his forgiveness. And in the end, it is not the derision and mockery of our neighbors that should really bother us. It is the judgment that flows from the throne of God. If we are forgiven, then those that mock can go ahead. Because we know whose we are.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 81 & 82

No comments:

Post a Comment