Tuesday 11 June 2019

… who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases – Psalm 103:3


Today’s Scripture Reading (June 11, 2019): Psalm 103

For me, order is important. Why do I eat my salad and vegetables first? (And yes, I am endeavoring to eat more of those things.) I eat them first so that they don’t foul up the rest of the meal. I understand that that is not the way that all of you feel. But eating my vegetables might be one of the rare areas where I start with the things I don’t like. In other areas, I try to prioritize according to what is important. If I can get what is essential done first, then I can put off what is less important to another time if that becomes necessary. Order is important.

So Mark tells the story of the paralyzed man who is brought to Jesus by his friends. A crowd has gathered at the place where Jesus is, and so the men take the unusual step of climbing up onto the roof, digging through it so that they can lower the man down to Jesus. I heard a sermon preached on the passage some years ago where the speaker dramatically described the scene, including the dirt that must have been falling into the room as the men prepared a hole big enough to lower their friend. The intention of the friends seems clear. They value the paralyzed man’s and feel that he deserves to be healed. They would have probably said that healing was their friends greatest need. Jesus was a miracle worker and a healer. So the men brought their friend who needed healing to the one who had experience at healing people.

The man is lowered down in front of Jesus. Jesus looked at the man in front of him, and then up at the four men standing by a hole in the roof. Mark says that Jesus saw the faith of the four men on the roof and said to the paralyzed man, “Your sins are forgiven.”

Now, I wasn’t there. But I am pretty sure that what was going through the minds of the paralyzed man’s friends was something like “we didn’t bring him to you so you could forgive his sins. We wanted you to heal him.” They didn’t get a chance to voice their concerns because some of the religious elite also had doubts. Who was this rabbi who believed he had the authority to forgive sins? I think Jesus heard the unspoken concerns of all of them. When the friends looked at the paralyzed man, what they saw was someone in need of healing. But when Jesus looked at the man, he saw someone whose greatest need was for forgiveness. Here is the end of the story.

Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things? Which is easier: to say to this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’? But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the man, “I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.” He got up, took his mat and walked out in full view of them all. This amazed everyone and they praised God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this” (Mark 2:8-12).

Order is important. Whether the man knew it or not, the thing he needed the most was forgiveness. And then he needed healing.

David agrees. God forgives our sins first, but he is not done with us. Because after he forgives us, he heals us.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 109

No comments:

Post a Comment