Saturday 10 February 2018

So I made up my mind that I would not make another painful visit to you. – 2 Corinthians 2:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (February 10, 2018): 2 Corinthians 2 & 3

Some years ago I found out that a college friend was living not far from where I lived. A mutual friend had passed on his phone number, and one evening I decided to give him a call just to say hi. Admittedly, I am not at ease with the telephone. So much of our communication comes from visual cues, and the phone erases all of that. I also understand that the phone can be intrusive. By its very nature, we have no idea when the right moment might be to call. But I dialed the set of numbers that I had received and waited for the party on the other end to answer.

The conversation did not go as I had hoped. I have no idea what was happening on the other side of the phone line in the moments before I dialed the number, but my friend was not happy to hear from me. He started off by questioning my motives for phoning him, and he never really accepted that I just wanted to touch base with him and that I wanted absolutely nothing from him. The conversation was stilted and painful. I closed by saying that I appreciated him and the time that we had spent together and that maybe, sometime down the road, I would try to phone again. And then I closed the connection and sat in my chair wondering if I had done the right thing.

I didn’t phone him again, but a couple of years later we did meet up in person. And I found out the rest of the story that unfolded after we had had our phone conversation. After I closed the connection and sat in my chair feeling defeated, but he sat in his chair with an opposite feeling. He told his wife who I was and then commented, “He hasn’t changed. He doesn’t seem to care to judge you for the negative that happens in life. He accepts you as you are. I hope he phones me again.” Those words, spoken a couple of years after the event, were some of the most encouraging words that I had received, and they were words that I hoped were true. But the reality was that in my defeat, and with my dislike of the phone, I had never followed up on that first phone call and risked proving those words not to be true.

Paul seems to have spent a significant amount of time in Corinth, and most likely counts the Corinthians as friends. But the result of the last trip was not a positive one. Instead of being a pleasant experience, his last visit was filled with division and conflict. So when he was planning another trip to the area, Paul had left Corinth off of his itinerary. Unfortunately, that had given ammunition to his detractors. They had begun to argue that Paul was ultimately untrustworthy, and that if he was untrustworthy in one area, how could the Corinthians trust him in any area. Paul’s teachings and writing should be discarded, and the apostle should be forgotten.

As a result, Paul is on the defensive as he begins this letter to the Corinthians. Paul admits that he did not want to be the cause of any more pain in Corinth, but beyond that, the problems of the Corinthians were making him uncomfortable. British Methodist theologian and scholar Adam Clarke argues that “because of the scandals that were among them he [Paul] could not see them [the Corinthians] comfortably; and therefore he determined not to see them at all till he had reason to believe that those evils were put away.” So Paul says that he had decided not to come to Corinth this time, not because he did not care for them, but because he did not want to increase the pain and division under which the Corinthian Church was already suffering.  

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 4

No comments:

Post a Comment